We became friends with Amanda Ross when we worked together at Harper’s Bazaar (she was the market director). Amanda has enviable style (when she mentioned that the jeans I had on were indeed too suburban, I almost died–and of course, took her advice and haven’t worn them since). She is not slavish to trends and mixes classic pieces with bohemian accessories like nobody’s business. She’s always dripping in loads of fantastic jewelry culled from her global travels (heaps of turquoise for fall? on Amanda it works), and when it’s cold, she rarely leaves the house without one of her trademark fur vests.
These days she is spreading her chic sensibility to many areas as the Fashion Director of W Hotels, a celebrity stylist and costume designer (Kim Raver and Brooke Shields in Lipstick Jungle, movies such as It’s Complicated with Meryl Streep and her latest short shot by Sophia Loren’s son Edoardo Ponti–see her on set below with producer Kristina Pavlos and actor David Gandy, 6). We went to her apartment (2, 14), which is very Holly Golightly, to chat and snoop in her closets.
- Style Icons: Anouk Aimee (1), Jackie O., Audrey Hepburn.
- Go-to oufit: This fall it is a short navy skirt and wedge-heel boots or white shirt and skinny pants –all from Balenciaga (3).
- Weekend uniform: Current Elliott cargos, I Pezzi diPinti cashmere sweaters, fur vests and my new double-breasted Balenciaga pea coat.
- On your wrist: Verdura link bracelet, 40′s gold bracelet, friendship bracelet from Majorca, gold leaf bangle from monastery outside Bangkok, Sara Beltran woven bracelet.
- This season’s party dress: Naeem Khan feather dress (4). The perfect dress to wear when you dream of being a ballerina.
- You can never have too many: Cashmere sweaters.
- Hostess gift: Masion du Chocolat box of truffles(5), Proseco.
- Lunch spot: Amaranth on the Upper East Side.
- Favorite night out: Drinks at the banquettes at the Carlyle Hotel (7).
- Stationery: Sugar Paper, Los Angeles.
- Scent: I have three. Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle (8), Back to Black by Kilian and Van Cleef Orchidee Vanille.
- Collects: Shells, notebooks, purple pens and crayons (9).
- Designer dream: A jewelry box filled with Buccellati jewelry (10) and a closet full of Valentino’s Spring 2011 collection!
- Current obsession: Native American jewelry from Vicki Turbeville.
- Three beauty essentials: Ortigia Bath Salts (11), Leonor Greyl Shampoo de Bamboo, Chanel Eye Masks.
- On your Ipod: Karen Elson (12), Amos Lee, Jimmy Jones.
- Favorite sites: Nowness.com, Style.com, and of course, Keepitchic.com!
- Last favorite film: Hereafter
- Home away from home: My sister’s in London
- Favorite hotel: Le Cheval Blanc, Courcheval, and Hotel de la Paix, Siem Reap, Cambodia (13).
- Long flight musts: A lot of water, hand lotion, La Mer lip balm, cashmere scarf and Tod’s penny loafer moccasins. In my Reed Krakoff carryon I put my jewelry, books, newspapers and magazine and a Netflix dvd. Last trip I took films produced by Julie Lynn of Mockingbird films. I watched The Passengers with Anne Hathaway and Patrick Wilson.
- Favorite non-working activity: Skiing
- Can’t go one day without: Drinking coffee
- One week without: Chocolate
- One month without: Reading a book
- Always searching for the perfect: Ballet flat
Amanda Ross is represented by The Wall Group.
Topics: Amanda Ross, Style Setter, W Hotels