I cleaned out my closet. Nothing was spared from my scrutiny and I ruthlessly tossed things that I had been holding onto for far too long. There may be less in there, but I wear everything I have.
Goop has closets on the brain too and posted a great newsletter last week about spring trends and how to organize and maintain your clothes. But what are closet essentials, the things that make a closet fully functional?
Here is my list.
1. A mirror, 3 way would be ideal
2. A chair
3. Good light
4. A rug (so you can try on shoes at home)
5. Hooks or rack to hang outfits being considered
6. A steamer (I have a Rowenta Precision Valet)
7. Padded hangers and skirt hangers with clips (toss or return all wire hangers from the cleaners).
8. Shoe racks. I do not like my shoes in boxes because I forget I have them.
9. A small table to put out accessories being considered
10. Bowls for odds and ends, a trash can and a laundry basket
11. A push-pin board with pictures of inspirational outfits, list of clothing needs, etc.
I like to be able to see what I own and have belts hung on hooks on the wall and handbags are on shelves. My shoes are on open shelves too. The downside to having everything out is you need to dust frequently.
Checked owl-blend and printed quilted cotton coat
Ashland cropped mid-rise straight-leg jeans
Iliana Harkness bucket hobo
Wool and cashmere cardigan
Lauren flat suede Mary Jane slide
Round-frame tortoiseshell sunglasses
Reversible leather and fur coat
Linda 45 leather pumps
Zip-detailed stretch-cotton bomber jacket
Fair Isle cashmere and wool-blend vest
Maisie ruffled crinkled silk-satin blouse