June 20th, 2012
On My Mind

Summer solstice resolution

It has been a long time since I could swing my girls around, yet I still encourage them to be a bit carefree and have fun. Especially in the summer. Summer is when we stop, look and listen to our girls. The school year is such a dash to the finish that there is little time to slow down and reflect.

When my older daughter got into Stanford for the summer program, we thought it would be perfect for her. But as it got closer to the time for her to go, and she came home exhausted from finals, we started to reassess the value of studying through the summer. We know it would look great on her college application, but is it truly how we want her to spend the next few months?

The day we withdrew a junior counselor spot opened at an amazing camp in Vermont. We had 36 hours to pack and fly, yet when I dropped her duffles in the tent, I knew this was the right decision.

The summer solstice is a bit like New Year’s for me. This is when I actually focus on what is working and more importantly, not working, in our lives. My resolution for this summer is to stop worrying about doing the “right” things and just do what’s best for my family.

Related  —

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

1. With a 23, 21 , 18 and 12 year old, I can relate to this on so many levels! I think you have the right approach and I am sure your daughter will not only thank you for it, she will be all the wiser for it. She most likely has a few life lessons in store for her. The best way to learn.
    From one wise woman to another… keeping it real..the 6o’s and 70′s way.. :)

Jeanne @ Collage of Life
    June 20th, 2012  1:19 PM

2. You SO made the right decision for your daughter. Mine is going off to college in the fall and I can see now that all of that “resume” stuff is just that.

They need time to just enjoy nature and learn who they really are. Love the Jackie photo, thanks for your POV.

Anne Hansen
    June 20th, 2012  1:25 PM

3. Amen!

kayce hughes
    June 20th, 2012  1:29 PM

4. What a great, great decision. …and a courageous one considering how competitive life is. The most important lesson, I believe, is the fact that your daughter witnessed her mom advocating for her…which she will hopefully do for both herself and her children one day. Bravo!

Hollye Jacobs, The Silver Pen
    June 20th, 2012  2:07 PM

5. Bravo – I spent all of my high school summers as a junior counselor at a summer camp and it was the best thing I could have done. Brilliant. xox

Lindsey
    June 20th, 2012  2:23 PM

6. Absolutely the best decision..these years fly by
    too quickly. Enjoy and savour the moments we have been given with our children everyday.
    For they will soon belong to the world!

Maria Hoskinson
    June 20th, 2012  2:52 PM

7. I couldn’t agree more … summertime is better than NYE and what better way to re-group and start fresh than the turn of Summer. Xoxo-BLC

BLC
    June 20th, 2012  3:12 PM

8. What a wonderful decision you made. If you have a chance go on youtube and listen to David McCullough Jr’s Wellesley High School Graduation speech. He talks about graduates doing what they love instead of filling their resume. His speech is all over the internet.

PS. Your blog is fantastic

susan
    June 20th, 2012  4:03 PM

9. You are SPOT on, as usual.

Heather
    June 20th, 2012  5:14 PM

10. Bravo for recognizing what is best for your daughter, and not what will look best on her hs resume. I agree with Susan above; the McCullough graduation speech is fabulous and well worth the listen!

DR
    June 21st, 2012  9:35 AM

11. I love the idea of the summer solstice being like New Year’s Eve, with going over what’s working and what’s not, mid-year. Great picture, great post, great decision for your daughter!

Jill
    June 21st, 2012  2:46 PM

12. Amen!

Jessica
    June 21st, 2012  6:56 PM

13. Children/teenagers grow up so fast! They should enjoy their summers so they can look back on those wonderful days. Good decision! She has her whole life ahead of her to pursue academics.

Deanna
    June 22nd, 2012  10:22 PM

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

SHOP WHAT'S NEW