July 2nd, 2012

Tinker, Tailor…

Maybe it comes from my Puritan roots, but I am reluctant to throw clothing away. Unless something is truly unwearable, I will keep it forever. I still have and wear my LL Bean boots from boarding school and cashmere sweaters from who-knows-when. I have never consigned anything and my seamstress is practically on my payroll.

However, there is the rare occasion when I buy something and it sits in my closet unworn. If it doesn’t get retuned, it gets tinkered with. Case in point, the dress above. I bought it because it was “so me”. Easy shape, neutral color. I had the vents sewn closed on the sides and yet, it still had the tags on it.

At the same time, I was looking for a blouse to create a summer version of my favorite spring run-around look, above left. The Céline sweater with jeans and Chloé flats was my uniform from February through May. Casual enough for the school run, but pulled together for meetings. Perfection.

So, back to the unworn dress. Off to the seamstress it went; she took off 17″ and voila!, it became the perfect blouse, above right, that I had been looking for.

Related  —

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

1. Smart woman…love the look. :)

Jeanne @ Collage of LIfe
    July 2nd, 2012  7:14 AM

2. Perfection in pralines and cream, I can’t wait to see what your autumn uniform is, I love the idea of simplifying every day dressing.

Tabitha
    July 2nd, 2012  7:41 AM

3. Love it!

kayce hughes
    July 2nd, 2012  12:51 PM

4. copy the blouse in royal blue, light blue, verdigris, coral, black and salmon in sizes s and m and poof sell to 10 of your best fans. I’d buy the royal in a medium. ninna

Ninna
    July 2nd, 2012  1:32 PM

5. What you did with that dress is all so smart now I can see it being worn all the time as a blouse. If you would have kept is as a dress it might have sat in your closet for another 10 years great job.

Sarah Long
    July 2nd, 2012  7:09 PM

6. I’ve done this too! It’s a great way to re-purpose dresses that I’ve grown tired of or just are not flattering from the waist down. I’ve done this with fitting mini dresses as well. (I liked the print but not length). My seamstress shortened them into t-shirts.

chelle
    July 3rd, 2012  7:59 AM

7. Thank you for your savvy solution to a vexing problem.

Could you share some other chic fixes? I am currently cutting a Paul Smith striped shirtdress to mini length. The stripes were too much in the longer length!

robin
    July 5th, 2012  4:15 PM

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

SHOP WHAT'S NEW →