KiC friend and fellow blogger, Heather Clawson, has just published her first book, ‘Habitually Chic: Creativity at Work’. Whereas her wildly popular site, Habitually Chic, covers the gamut of interior design, lifestyle, fashion, photography, and beyond, Heather’s book, which was released today, focuses on a hand-picked selection of style and design icons photographed in their workspaces. Since I now work at my kitchen table, I am very interested in the environments that inspire creative people. ‘Creativity at Work’ is top of my book list.
I caught up with Heather recently (she is busy on a book signing tour) and she graciously answered a few of my questions.
What are your 5 Essentials?
1. Flats – Everyone loves to make fun of flat shoes but I’m always running around and need to be able to walk without hobbling. My favorite pair is the classic two tone Chanel ballet flat.
2. Jeans – My uniform of choice is jeans, flats, a blouse and blazer. I love the Matchstick jeans from J.Crew and buy a few pairs each season.
3. A Manicure – Whether I do it myself or go to a salon, I don’t feel “polished” (pun intended) without a manicure. My summer shades are Essie Lollipop and Potato Fields but for winter, I love Essie Velvet Voyeur and Deborah Lippmann Dark Side of the Moon.
4. My camera – I shot all the photos for my book and always carry my Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera with me everywhere.
5. Instagram – As a visual person, I love being able to share things I think are beautiful and see what everyone else is doing via photos.
What inspires you? New York inspires me. Everywhere you look there is something to see or a place to explore. I’m also inspired by art and love visiting museums and galleries every chance I get. I’m lucky that I meet people who inspire me to try harder and be better.
What is your biggest take-away from the work spaces you cover in your book? It wasn’t anything physical in their space but the curiosity that each subject possessed. As busy as they are everyday, they read books, magazines, and blogs and are always traveling the world. It’s this yearning to learn and experience new things that keeps them going.
What is your next book subject? I can’t give away any specifics but I have a few ideas for books two and three. I’d like to narrow down the subject to one profession and also profile more creative people in Europe.
My perfect day is: …a Sunday when no one is calling or emailing me. I usually take a walk through Central Park and sit by the Conservatory Pond to watch the kids play with the sailboats. Then I walk down Madison Avenue, pick up my favorite flavors of macarons at Laduree, pop into Barneys for some shopping, and end the day with a burger at JG Melon with friends.Creativity at Work, Habitually Chic, Heather Clawson, People
Collection gold, silver and diamond ring
Eyelet-embellished intarsia merino wool turtleneck sweater
Mid-heel suede knee-high boots
Beirut 18-karat rose gold diamond ring
Camilla one-shoulder textured-organic cotton maxi dress
medium Trunk shoulder bag
Cotton-blend poplin top
Gold vermeil hoop earrings
Charlotte cotton-gabardine trench coat
Two-tone crepe blouse
Oversized silk-charmeuse shirt