December 29th, 2012
Looks

‘New Year, New Look, New Attitude’

I pinched a cover line from Vogue’s January issue for the title of this post because it sums up my thoughts on dressing in 2013 precisely. It’s time for a change (I also just really like the cover).

Last week I posted on building an outfit around one sensational piece, and the Saint Laurent look on Gwen Stefani is a perfect example of this new approach to dressing, especially for evening.

We will be home with friends and family to ring in the new year. Last year’s (too literal) pajama trend as hostess-wear was not my thing, but fun, not-too-serious, party-ready pants are on my radar this holiday season. Instead of the jacket as the focal point, a metallic or lace pant will take center stage. Paired with one of my favorite (old and well-loved) cashmere sweaters, flats, and the Larkspur & Hawk earrings my husband gave me for Christmas, this will be my look when I welcome my guests on New Year’s Eve.

Valentino flatsAlice + Olivia pants; Jil Sander sweaterAurelie Bidermann cuffHawk & Larkspur earrings.

Related  —

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

1. I am so wearing my cece toppings black ruffle and white ruffle collars for a new year new look!
    happy and healthy to you and yours!! xoxo

jamie
    December 29th, 2012  4:57 PM

2. This Gwen I love.

The earrings are gorgeous!

Happy New Year!

April
    December 29th, 2012  6:49 PM

3. I have been a fan of Gwen’s for some time now. She follows her own path, which I aspire to do as well. You will look fab in your NYE outfit!! Have a very happy!! Hugs

Sheri
    December 29th, 2012  6:59 PM

4. Honestly, I find more inspiration and real style in your blog than I have in Vogue for some time. The ‘rocker chic’ thing has been done a million times–is there not anything fresh out there? I like to think that across this vast nation of ours, there must be some stylish women worthy of photographing that are not recycled actresses- or rock singers-turned fashion model! It took less than 15 minutes for my January Vogue to hit the trash . . . and from the thickness of the magazine, it would seem advertisers are agreeing more and more that the era of Vogue is past.

Polly
    December 30th, 2012  12:45 AM

5. That’s a gorgeous cover, Gwen Stefani looks fab – and I love those metallic pants. We’re thinking of staying in (That Is My Age!). Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

That's Not My Age
    December 30th, 2012  8:11 AM

6. Hi Preston,
    Thanks for the post! I love the look and am delighted you will be enjoying your new L&H earrings.
    Happy New Year!

Emily
    December 30th, 2012  1:33 PM

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

SHOP WHAT'S NEW