January 3rd, 2013

5 trends I am happy to bid farewell

When KiC launched we agreed that we would only discuss what we like and by omission, our readers could surmise the trends we don’t like. But that was then, and now I singlehandedly edit KiC and think this policy is ridiculous. Here, for the first time, my list of pet-peeve trends that I hope will disappear in 2013.

1. The Platform Pump- This one is first on my list for a reason. I find them so unattractive and cannot for the life of me figure out why they have had such staying power. I don’t mind a platform bootie, but a pump, especially a peep-toe, is just too tranny/trampy for me. I think we should all embrace the return of the single-sole pump.

2. Pajama Dressing- As in wearing a real, honest-to-goodness, men’s inspired PJ top. Especially with pearls, this is not a good look.

3. Print Overload- I actually adore prints, but head to toe, all-mixed-up, ‘please take my picture’ outfits should be outlawed.

4. Biker Jacket- I just bought my daughter a gorgeous olive leather jacket, and I still LOVE leather and ‘moto-inspired’ for spring. But a literal, tough-edged biker jacket is a piece that has had it’s comeback moment.

5. Pithy T shirts-  They are silly and juvenile and I just don’t like to wear irony. By all means make a statement with your clothes, just not with what they say.

The peplum almost made this list…

I realize that many will disagree with my list. Please feel free to add your own pet-peeves.

Silk scarf black

SACAI

Wool skirt

VALENTINO

Denim ankle boots

J.W.ANDERSON

Leather shoulder bag

• …I was sooooo expecting to see the peplum in the top 5!!

When i see one I always think of your comment (and I paraphrase), “who wants to wear a frill around their waist?”

BeccaJanuary 3rd, 2013  3:35 AM

• Agree with you on most of these – particularly the tranny/trampy shoe – though I have been tempted by pyjama dressing. But that’s sheer laziness. Glad to see the peplum up there! Happy New Year.

That's Not My AgeJanuary 3rd, 2013  6:10 AM

• I couldn’t agree more with your choices, including the peplum and most certainly the platform pump! No more please!

LenaJanuary 3rd, 2013  7:40 AM

• Keep it Chic saved me from the overpriced motorcycle jacket purchase!
    DISAGREE about the platform pump – it’s much more comfortable than the single sole pump – it just cant be worn in any color other than nude or black – yes, red does make it look trampy

Lisa EastmanJanuary 3rd, 2013  7:55 AM

• agree with you mostly. i hate those pumps, mixing the prints and not-funny-at-all tshirts. but i actually do like the biker jackets, they’re pretty cool imho.

madspepperJanuary 3rd, 2013  8:30 AM

• I’m fine with these trends — on other people!

joannawnycJanuary 3rd, 2013  8:31 AM

• I hope I will never see a mullet dress or skirt, EVER.

EmyJanuary 3rd, 2013  9:14 AM

• I so agree! I have been loving the return of the single sole pump! They are sexy and feminine. I am happy to say goodbye to those trends too.

Caitlin ConfidentialJanuary 3rd, 2013  9:16 AM

• Personally, I too don’t hate the motorcycle jacket, but if I see the word ” juxtaposition” used in an editorial about it one more time I’m going to scream. My fashion pet peeve trend are the “statement” (another loathesome word) necklaces that look like a shop class upchucked around the neck and someone added stones or fake pearls.

SueMJanuary 3rd, 2013  9:21 AM

• Swap moto for peplum on that list

SJanuary 3rd, 2013  9:27 AM

• I have a feeling I know which olive leather jacket your daughter received. Almost bought it myself, it’s fantastic. Agree with all of the above, except the jacket. I don’t mind a small platform in a pump, as it does make it more comfortable, but I’d rather go down in heel height, still more elegant.

kathyJanuary 3rd, 2013  9:33 AM

• I agree with all your choices! You should make this a regular feature of KiC, this was a great post and it’s fun to read people’s reactions to it.

JillJanuary 3rd, 2013  9:38 AM

• Okay, I love moto details, not a literal, stiff leathered, biker jacket. The Vince leather jacket I bought my daughter is really gorgeous. And the peplum, a seriously unflattering trend, should be #6.

prestonJanuary 3rd, 2013  9:52 AM

• I agree with everything on your list. Including peplum. I am not feeling the high low skirts I’ve been seeing it ALOT in these parts. Just don’t get in. Just don’t like it. Maybe it’s just me. I like symmetry. Also abhor, the super short shorts/ cut up shorts with the platform heel and blazer. Enough please…btw, currently in SE Asia.

Michelle OJanuary 3rd, 2013  10:04 AM

• Totally agree in regards to the platform pump. Not classy and really only should be used in a strip club.

TeresaJanuary 3rd, 2013  10:07 AM

• If you are clinging to your platforms, please read this

PrestonJanuary 3rd, 2013  10:35 AM

• PEMLUM needs to go along with those sheer high low skirts. I do not like platform pumps, but favor a platform bootie to be worn under slacks. With that said, I LOVE my Jimmy Choo Nova pump in a sparkly Champaign. I had to double check to find out if it had a platform and it does. It never looked or felt like it, but I will not be tossing them. They were comfortable under my wedding gown and wear I them to the opera all the time. They do not have that “trampy” feel and I do not “clunk” in them. Perhaps it was in the design.

Lisa WhiteJanuary 3rd, 2013  11:22 AM

• I agree with platforms. I was a teenager in the 1970s and I remember the “big shoe” trend, wore them a bit myself, and was happy to bid it adieu when it had run its course. I never looked back, and am surprised at the longevity it is enjoying this time. In my opinion, these gigantic shoes ruin outfits, and many people can’t walk in them properly anyway. I like the pajama top in silk, no need to wear matching or baggyish pants with it though. I also would like a moratorium on any look that cannot be justified with a term other than “edgey”. If thats the best you can do, then don’t wear it. Also, I don’t care if people go without hose in the mild weather IF they have the legs for it, but these broad based trends that doom a woman as “old” and dowdy because she has the common sense to put her best foot forward and play to her strengths by wearing hose needs to stop! Although I don’t dislike them, I wonder if the peep toe and ballerina flat has run their course? Its fun to fashion vent!

AprilJanuary 3rd, 2013  11:28 AM

• Preston, I couldn’t agree more. Your list is my list, but I’d like to add that if I never see another pair of ripped up boyfriend jeans, it won’t be too soon. As for the platform pumps, they’ve always looked like pole-dancing shoes to me. I don’t know who (editors) decides that certain items should be hot trends, but when all my instincts are saying no, not being a sheep remains chic. Happy, healthy new year to you.

JayJanuary 3rd, 2013  11:32 AM

• totally agree with the platform pump – saw a girl teetering along in some today paired with a teeny Summer dress, (I’m in Australia) – she could barely walk & looked ridiculous!

PennyJanuary 3rd, 2013  11:37 AM

• omgoodness Preston, your blog just got even so much better. Although I have to admit to loving crazy prints, I wholeheartedly agree about the tranny shoes. Who wears those monstrosities? I don’t think I have ever seen them on anyone. They are b.u.t.t. ugly, and they need to go. Ditto on biker jackets and juvenile Ts. There’s a Marni for H&M pajama top I still love, but indeed not with pearls. Keep on speaking your mind in the future :).

DianneJanuary 3rd, 2013  11:59 AM

• I have taken more than my fair share of space on this post, but did want to add my 2 cents regarding the motorcycle jacket. I do like this look in most interpretations and regard it as rather classic and timeless, not a trendy look.

Olive leather is fabulous, what a great neutral.

AprilJanuary 3rd, 2013  12:10 PM

• i agree with all of these tired trends and am happy to see them go…but i would like to add one beauty trend that i hope goes away soon too…big bouncy long hair a la Kardashian style…it seems like way too many women (especially older) have clung on to this long hair look for way too long…chop it off! it ruins any great outfit!

kariJanuary 3rd, 2013  1:21 PM

• Enough of the STRIPPER SHOES!!!

HeatherJanuary 3rd, 2013  2:08 PM

• I’d love to know which olive leather jacket was bought?

gpcJanuary 3rd, 2013  2:14 PM

• Amen, sister!! I especially am looking forward to the demise of platform shoes, since that trend is the one that has had the most reach and staying power. If a Real Housewife of [City Name Here] is wearing it (or worse, “designing” it), then it’s time to kiss it goodbye!

Mary

MaryJanuary 3rd, 2013  2:53 PM

• What a fun blog!! Don’t we all love to talk about our fashion peeves!! I would add in the “comeback” of the 60’s look tied at the waist tops…..just not alt of women who can pull that off!!! Hugs

SheriJanuary 3rd, 2013  10:43 PM

• So true on the shoes. I’m 5’7″ and in regular 4″ heels I’m taller than many men. Have men decided they like women taller than them who are wearing 6″ platforms and can barely walk? I see women struggling to walk, thinking they look stylish, when they just look ridiculous.

SusanJanuary 3rd, 2013  11:46 PM

• No – wait. I thought of another trend that I would love to see go away. It is women standing for photographs posing with their legs crossed. It’s so overdone.

SusanJanuary 3rd, 2013  11:50 PM

• I will always love a motorcycle jacket, and plan on buying a short trench version for spring. But one trend that seems to absolutely refuse to die is STUDS. They drive me crazy!!!

CeceJanuary 4th, 2013  1:23 AM

• Oh I love a peplum! Not the ‘ruffle around the waist’ sort, but the less intense, vintage, softer look. I have a boyish shape, and the gentle flare effect of a peplum jacket is so flattering on me. I get the same hourglass effect from a tied waist blouse or a belted dress.

JustineJanuary 4th, 2013  4:23 AM

• Preston,
    Am quite curious about what Susan said, and since you were in the business, you would know.
    What is the pose with ones legs crossed supposed to do? Is it slimming, what? To me it looks like they have to pee, and are holding it.

KathyJanuary 4th, 2013  10:38 AM

• I think the pose is supposed to be slimming and used when the dress/skirt is verrrry short. Also, it’s just a trend.

PrestonJanuary 4th, 2013  10:53 AM

• I’m surprised wedges have hung on as long as they have.

SaraJanuary 4th, 2013  4:53 PM

• We love this post and could not agree with you more about the Print all over “Snap my picture outfits.” Fashion is supposed to be organic and fresh. Rock clothing that you love, not what you think will get you noticed for noticed sake.

STYLEDRVR

STYLEDRVRJanuary 4th, 2013  7:06 PM

• Thanks for keeping it real Preston. I always can rely on you for the chicest advice on how to look elegant and classic, yet modern. Agree on all fronts! But the dreaded peplum should have been included here too. It’s just one of those trends that felt so forced.
    Jane Dalea-Kahn

Jane Dalea KahnJanuary 4th, 2013  7:35 PM

• The platform pump works if it’s understated. Same with the peplum. Pajama outfits outside are just stupid and a lazy attempt at making a statement. I think your former kic partner wanted to wear them when the trend started which was surprising. Love your blog! On your reccomendation I bought the Valentino ankle straps and love them.

KristinJanuary 4th, 2013  8:33 PM

• Ditto on 1, 3, 5. But am afraid biker jackets always seem to be in…tho I don’t own one. I am sick of skinny jeans. If your skinny, you already got it made so skinny jeans just seem smug. Meanwhile the rest of us have to pretend like we are housewives from the fifties!!

Coulda shoulda wouldaJanuary 6th, 2013  11:12 AM

• I can’t agree more- terrible 2012 trends! Here is to fashion that is cool and chic for 2013.

Kylene BarkerJanuary 7th, 2013  11:40 AM

• Hooray for speaking up!

TreeJanuary 7th, 2013  11:57 AM

• I will be so happy when wedges are a trend of the past.
    While I agree with your list whole-heartedly, I don’t mind a small platform in a pump or sandal. At my height (6’3″) it really does not matter what shoes I wear – I will never be able to pass as a shorter person, anyway.

ClaudiaJanuary 7th, 2013  6:17 PM

• Ditto! I’ve been saying that one about the stripper heel/platform pump for a while. The peplum looks great when its a part of a classic suit. When I see women who follow every trend that comes out, all I can think of is that they don’t have any personal style at all. Prints are fine at a minimum and the pajama look only belongs at home and not on the street. Finally, the truth.

VonniJanuary 13th, 2013  9:55 AM

• Totally agree !! those shoes are trashy ! thought i was the only one. Since waay too many people wear them and they are sold every where.

ArchanaJuly 26th, 2013  3:02 AM