January 18th, 2013

Kick up your heels

Perhaps it’s time for a return to fun, not-too-serious, heels. I bought these Sophia Webster sandals above for my daughter to wear to a holiday dance. Paired with her little black sheath dress, they were show-stopping.

The Aquazzura sandals below are good too, and not as whimsical.

FRED LEIGHTON

BALENCIAGA

Small tote

VICTORIA, VICTORIA BECKHAM

Wool-Blend pants

ALTUZARRA

Shirtdress

• Lucky girl! They’re great.

AprilJanuary 18th, 2013  3:16 PM

• Hideous bad taste. Why is it “irreverent” to dress like a hooker? One doesn’t have to be a prude, or dislike new styles to size anyone up wearing these as (A) short or (B) a New Jersey Real Housewife or of course, (3) both.

DianneJanuary 18th, 2013  6:04 PM

• Well, I like the shoes and I am short and a Connecticut lawyer. One out of three in your “short” sighted formula!

AprilJanuary 18th, 2013  6:28 PM

• Should I delete mean comments? Other sites do. I created KiC to share, not get slammed. Hmmm…

PrestonJanuary 18th, 2013  6:31 PM

• Oh my – I LOVE them…your blog has enlightened me as I am roughly your same age (I am pretty sure I am older) and same look. Sometimes when I question if I should pair something together or buy something I think WWPD (what would Preston do?) haha! I have never commented, but if the “mean” comment suddenly disappeared – I would not mind. I have never understood the need to slam the blogger – just move on to the next blog you follow. Of course, there are items I love more than others that you post – that is the beauty of being our own individual, but I would never find it necessary to leave a negative comment. A honest opinion here and there is ok, but nothing so mean spirited is necessary. Thank you Preston for sharing your wonderful taste and items you have found with us, your followers.

Mary BJanuary 18th, 2013  8:54 PM

• Dislike.

PindaJanuary 18th, 2013  9:54 PM

• I love your blog, Preston.So positive in tone.It’s always a joy to read your posts.
    Sue

SueJanuary 19th, 2013  2:42 AM

• Delete the derogatory comments though ones that disagree politely should be kept! I love your blog and think the shoes above are a great way to spice up an otherwise classic style.

MMJanuary 19th, 2013  6:19 AM

• I think on a young woman, those shoes are adorable. I bought my daughter Valentino studded high heeled sandals, that she wore with a short white dress to her wedding rehearsal dinner, and although, I do think on someone my age, they would be “trying to hard” on a young woman, so much fun. Delete the mean comments.

KathyJanuary 19th, 2013  9:30 AM

• i think there is a proper age for a young woman to where these shoes. in my opinion they would be more appropriate on a young woman in her 20s, not a young girl in high school. but then again, i don’t have a teen daughter and don’t need to fight that battle-not yet anyway.

susieJanuary 19th, 2013  9:52 AM

• Comments that you deem offensive should be removed. Rude ones need not be tolerated and reflect poorly on the commenter, not the blogger. To make an assumption about one’s character based on the shoe is just silly.

KristienJanuary 19th, 2013  10:02 AM

• love the style. It is very ladylike with pencil skirts and cropped pants. Just wish they come in shorter or kitten heels so forty something (like myself) can wear them.

amelJanuary 19th, 2013  10:58 AM

• I think they look very chic! I am tall and would wear them!

lauraJanuary 19th, 2013  1:07 PM

• Expensive shoes to buy for a daughter. I hope she appreciates them.

BeccaJanuary 19th, 2013  1:10 PM

• Regardless of whether I like these shoes or not I think that you’ve opened the door to your personal life, one that includes your daughter; I don’t think that you can get more personal than when you post a visual or comment on your choices as a parent, be they shoes, skirt length, curfew etc. My opinion is that people who comment negatively are being insensitive and perhaps don’t understand the nature of your blog “sharing”. Then there is the matter of taste, one’s choices are not necessarily the others. It’s a road that is fraught and that’s why I haven’t taken it. Instant backlash is the occupational hazard of the modern day blogger (should they choose to publish them). I also have to say that some comments posted are grammatical correct or include misspelt words. ‘Dianne’ if you’re going to continue to comment, please do so properly.

StephanieJanuary 19th, 2013  1:55 PM

• “grammatically incorrect” that should read. And here I become a victim of a late night rant myself!! (I really did re-check what I wrote, damn it). I thought there might be a chance to re-check before the actual posting. The curse of the (self-righteous) ‘instant messenger’?!

In any event, I like your blog.

StephanieJanuary 19th, 2013  2:02 PM

• Grrr. How ironic.

StephanieJanuary 19th, 2013  2:05 PM

• Preston, please do not feel bad about deleting mean comments! It is such a killjoy to read such nastiness. I read your blog because I share similar taste and interests, and enjoy the content.

ANYWAY…your daughter is lucky to have a mother that values high fashion! I too love a flamboyant shoe since my apparel is quite simple.

CeceJanuary 19th, 2013  2:25 PM

• These shoes, a leather jacket and a few little dresses, were her 18th birthday present. I don’t spend like that on her everyday.

PrestonJanuary 19th, 2013  2:48 PM

• The Aquazurras were actually on my spring shopping list before this post! I’m getting the nude. I’m 40 and from the deep South by the way.

ElizabethJanuary 19th, 2013  7:07 PM

• I love that everyone shares their opinions on this blog, but I do not need to see any rude comments that are directed toward personal content that you share. I find it to be very helpful to learn about your personal life and gain context for your style choices, and so I hope that you continue to share. I truly appreciate this blog for the fact that I am a 31 year old with 2 girls aged 3 and under and I can still completely relate to all of the style commentary. Our clothing budgets are definitely not anywhere near each other, but my wardrobe has been greatly influenced by this blog. I look forward to it every morning!

JenJanuary 19th, 2013  11:10 PM

• I don’t delete comments unless they are attacking an individual, there will always be folk who disagree with your/my taste. For someone of your daughter’s age, these are fabulous fun.

TabithaJanuary 20th, 2013  11:55 AM

• Hi Preston I know everyone is commenting on the shoes but I have to comment on the gorgeous fabric chair they are sitting on. Absolutely beautiful. I would love it if you could blog on some of your home choices, they look really beautiful. After all isn’t a home part of a stylish life. Keep up the great work.

jen from south africaJanuary 20th, 2013  12:14 PM

• I read your blog all the time and have not commented until now. Those shoes are gorgeous! I love how your daughter paired them with a simple black dress. Just the way to wear those. If I were 18 and had a mother who was wealthy enough (and generous enough) to buy those for me, I would rock those! Great choice! If I saw a hooker or a real housewife of New Jersey wearing those I would compliment her on her superb style. Keep it up!

NicoleJanuary 20th, 2013  12:53 PM

• Dear Preston,

Please allow me to aplologize for having offended you and your sense of style. I have commented in the past, though rarely, and have commented expressing delight at the great ideas and discoveries you’ve put up to share. Clothing, accessories and shoes intrigue me and somehow I keep wearing many of the things I buy for years, because they turn into classics.
    During Manolos day’s I couldn’t keep my little violet card out of the shoe department. They looked chic with everything and in good tast incidentally. Now even Gucci has some two inch platform attached to it. Please forgive me, but some of the most horrible aspects of having money to indiscriminately throw around, seems to be in the direction of gladiator type shoes which I find masculine, over the top and yes, in poor taste, ruining the look of the outfit, except perhaps pants with the adorable moto jacket you recently showed.
    Again, delete my responses if they are offensive and negative, it won’t bother me. I do not have a bog, am not in anyway invested in the industry, but do love your blog and the creativity it brings to me.
    With apologies,
    Sincerely Yours,
    Dianne

DianneJanuary 21st, 2013  12:24 PM

• I think these are fabulous shoes! Your daughter probably looked very stylish in them, particularly because she paired it with a sleak black sheath. It’s all about the balance. If this were a Real Housewives fashion outing, those shoes would probably have been the most tame item, but again, paired with something sleak and unembellished, like a sheath dress, makes these shoes sophisticated and FUN, too. I would wear these in a heartbeat, with my pair of Armani black wool flat front pants, and black Michael Kors leather top (the short sleeved one from this past season). The shoes make the outfit!
    Regards, Monica
    p.s., Now, if I were to add a Repossi ear cuff to the aforementioned outfit, well that would just be too, too much! 🙂

MonicaJanuary 22nd, 2013  9:06 AM

• How wonderfully chic, I imagine your daughter looked impeccably Parisian in her outfit.

Sarah StantonFebruary 18th, 2015  11:13 AM