January 14th, 2014
Show Status

Clean Sweep

After going through the Valentino pre-fall lineup a number of times, I realized that as much as I love the opulent sensibility and the beautifully embellished fabrics, my eye is drawn to the cleaner lined pieces in the collection this season. These two looks are my favorites.

VALENTINO

Shoulder bag

Silk scarf navy

J. CREW

Striped cashmere sweater

• Amazing looks

melanieJanuary 14th, 2014  10:48 AM

• Love the Valentino with the glasses and the scarf…so very 60s. and then those fab tortoise looking shoes. Thank you for sharing.

lynnJanuary 14th, 2014  10:50 AM

• chic, chic, chic! loved all the head-wraps, the lace-ups, the juxtaposition of longer and shorter, and that gwyneth’s golden globe dress was in the line up. xo

mark d. sikesJanuary 14th, 2014  10:58 AM

• Love this. And good for me for finally buying brogues!

Tori MordecaiJanuary 14th, 2014  10:58 AM

• Wow, sort of school girl bohemian. I love all the parts by themselves and surprisingly together.

AprilJanuary 14th, 2014  1:44 PM

• Nice pieces for editorial. But I will never buy it because for what occasion will I wear it? School run? Dinner party? Christmas Party? Work? Ski holiday? Beach holiday? Doesn’t seem to fit any of those… Can only imagine it becomes one of those “closet of regrets”. 😉

It will be for those who desperately wanted to be photographed on the street though…

luciaJanuary 14th, 2014  3:58 PM

• After reading Lucia’s comment, I wonder if you’d be willing to comment on this, Preston? I tend to think of these kinds of looks as directional, but how would you actually incorporate them into your life?

joannawnycJanuary 14th, 2014  8:01 PM

• I have been an avid Valentino fan since the design duo took over the reigns. But, I have found some of their recent collections to be so embellished, and the pieces so expensive, that I have not bought anything recently, except shoes and one dress. So when I say that I like these looks, I mean that I like where these looks signal the designers are heading. Like Phoebe’s SS14 collection for Celine, I think many designers are trying to move out of their comfort zones and do something new. And for us, the consumers, sometimes our collective eye needs to adjust before we embrace.

PrestonJanuary 14th, 2014  9:50 PM

• Love Lucia’s comment. I find the hem very unattractive and strange. Love the brogues though!

PaulaJanuary 14th, 2014  10:24 PM

• Thanks for the post Preston, I too love the simple lines here. I also loved the short, pleated trousers shown with this collection. I also appreciate your comments re: designers signaling where they are headed. Sometimes what looks a bit unusual to us at first, becomes what we comfortably wear two or three years down the road. I always enjoy looking at new things and as you said, sometimes my eye needs a little time to adjust, but I like the opportunity to see something new, another’s perspective, and through that, my eye and my world expands a bit.

Lisa FJanuary 15th, 2014  6:21 AM