May 3rd, 2014
On My Mind

French Lesson

This picture, from the business section of The New York Times, stopped me in my tracks. Look at what Clara Gaymard, CEO of G.E. France, is wearing to a meeting with President Hollande to discuss G.E.’s $13 billion bid to buy a French energy unit. The 54 year old mother of 9 is très chic.

I wonder how a leather biker jacket would go over in corporate America…

Related  —

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

1. Great style! Did you know that Clara Gaymart has 9 children and is working at a top position within the French government! Thanks for sharing.

Lilly
    May 3rd, 2014  10:52 AM

2. J’adore.

Lee
    May 3rd, 2014  11:22 AM

3. I love this!!! I often think black leather so close to the face as you age is not so good but she softens it up so well with that gorgeous scarf! Cannot imagine how this would play in the US though.

Jennifer
    May 3rd, 2014  11:43 AM

4. This is fabulous, a smart, successful, accomplished woman can choose to wear what she wants to, not what the “rules” say she should. I say “bravo”.

Monica
    May 3rd, 2014  1:19 PM

5. I work at GE’s headquarters in the US and this is definitely not what we wear to meetings and is interesting to see.

Para
    May 3rd, 2014  2:23 PM

6. I thought the exact same thing when I saw the photo in the NY Times! Thanks for posting and for your comments.

Christine
    May 3rd, 2014  10:34 PM

7. Inspirational. As is her clear confidence in wearing it. She looks great.

Sara P
    May 3rd, 2014  10:41 PM

8. Wow! She looks very chic and shows a strong individuality that would not go down well in corporate USA.

Helen
    May 4th, 2014  4:27 AM

9. What confidence!

Lisa
    May 4th, 2014  9:08 AM

10. Wow! Closing the confidence gap for sure with this ensemble. Fabulous. I want what she’s got.

Mary
    May 4th, 2014  9:14 AM

11. Never happen in US corporate world. Love love – chic, adorable but too casual to meet the President?

ilc
    May 4th, 2014  9:26 AM

12. I’ve been a corporate lawyer since 1987. In the beginning, we wore Brooks Brothers suits with those silly silk rosette ties! We were Little Men. Now, I wear Isabel Marant, Philip Lim and Yigal Azrouel leather jackets to the office on a regular basis, usually with pencil skirts. I’ve never put them over dresses. After seeing this post, I want to buy a dress and wear one of my leather jackets over it! I love this look!!!

Robbi
    May 4th, 2014  10:04 AM

13. I don’t know what is more amazing. The outfit or the fact that she has NINE children and a full-time job!

Lindy
    May 4th, 2014  10:31 AM

14. Shows great confidence. Love it.

Carla McDonald/The Salonniere
    May 4th, 2014  10:41 AM

15. It would be interesting to see earlier photos of her corporate trajectory. Bet she started out more conservative and conformist. So, perhaps she can be fully fashionable at this point because she’s the top executive, AND that the French prize it as important part of the feminine, AND that using feminine power is very French. Look at Christine Lagarde’s scarves…she didn’t wear them when she was a Chicago corporate leader.

Samantha
    May 4th, 2014  11:06 AM

16. I wish I could “get” the way the french dress, so relaxed yet a twist.

jiffy
    May 4th, 2014  11:55 AM

17. Fantastic. Simply fantastic!

Glenda
    May 4th, 2014  12:33 PM

18. I love everything about your post, including the comments it’s generated. Merci bien!

sally.
    May 4th, 2014  12:36 PM

19. A woman with $13 BILLION dollars to spend can wear anything she wants to. The rest of us have to be more careful.

Julia
    May 4th, 2014  2:23 PM

20. I found this post so interesting that I google-imaged her. Evidently the leather jacket is part of her personal uniform – she seems to wear them all the time. Love this look.

Lauren
    May 4th, 2014  3:09 PM

21. She’s beautiful, so feminine! I don’t love the color combo – light pink, black and cobalt blue.. the color of the scarf throw the combo for me. A more color coordinated scarf might have made it more formal and pulled together – at least for the US. But wow, she is a huge new inspiration for me in attitude. I love the softness.

Elle
    May 4th, 2014  4:21 PM

22. Fabulous!

That's Not My Age
    May 5th, 2014  5:45 AM

23. i love this look, but is there another sweater/jacket underneath the leather? it looks like something beige is peeking out, but i’m not sure. makes me think this is more of an overcoat for travel to and from, with a different look underneath.

bll
    May 5th, 2014  8:22 AM

24. I love the jacket. Informality reigns today, and even when meeting with the President, if the rest of the outfit is conventional (no ripped jeans!), I think one could get away with it. if at the top of their game. That is what is key, to me. A younger woman working her way up the ladder would have to be seen as unquestionably, and remarkably talented to be this unconventional. Once arrived, however, I think, even in the USA, this look would be accepted. In any case, it would certainly be noted and her “signature”!

April
    May 5th, 2014  9:55 AM

25. I love love love French style – Effortless Chic. Every time you write an article about French Fashion/Style you get an extraordinary amount of comments. Hint: Please write more about French women and great fashion sense. I (We) want more, please.

Pythia
    May 5th, 2014  4:59 PM

26. Good on her for wearing this! I think it looks fab. My husband gifted me a leather moto jacket this past Christmas and I’ve had it on twice when preparing to leave for work…and have taken it off each time. I’m afraid I can’t pull it off! I like the masculinity of the leather/style paired with the femininity of a dress/flowy scarf. Maybe she’ll give me the gumption to finally leave the house!

Emily
    May 7th, 2014  5:01 PM

Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.

SHOP WHAT'S NEW →