August 7th, 2014
It Item

Patchwork Power

Patchwork continues to be a big trend for fall and I want a piece in this 70s inspired pattern. Perhaps not a coat, but a diamond pattern bag or pair of shoes would be a powerful wardrobe tweak, one that could instantly update a simple look. A grey sweater and trousers with the pumps above would be super chic.

Valentino images @ vogue.com.

PIPPA SMALL

18-karat gold turquoise ring

EVE DENIM

Kalia denim jacket

VETEMENTS

Lighter-heel leather mules

KHAITE

Carolina single-breasted wool-twill cocoon coat

J. CREW

Demi-fine 14K gold-plated hoop

Oversized-lapel double-breasted wool-blend coat

Quincy shiny ballerina loafer mule

BURBERRY

Pleated checked wool midi skirt

CALVIN KLEIN 205W39NYC

Checked wool blazer

CALVIN KLEIN 205W39NYC

High-rise straight-leg jeans

MONCLER

Blanche leather ankle boots

Bellechasse medium leather-trimmed canvas bag

• A little goes a long way indeed, although the shoes appear new to my eye. I’ll be resisting this 70’s trend until it returns from whence it came.

SueMAugust 7th, 2014  9:15 AM

• This is patchwork at its most contemporary! Nothing 70s about it!

AprilAugust 7th, 2014  9:56 AM

• You have it right, Preston. A wardrobe tweak is all you need of this passing fad.

MargoAugust 7th, 2014  10:15 AM

• Patchwork is very 70s, but the new pieces don’t feel retro to me.

PrestonAugust 7th, 2014  10:41 AM

• I love how the Valentino designers have recrafted some of the garish 70s trends into beautiful, creative versions of themselves. The shoes are my favorite: a 70s print on a popular 90s silouhette. I like the coat, too, but only with the whole look here: floaty feminine, printed midi dress; feminine, understated hair, makeup and shoes. I don’t like the idea of this coat with jeans, pants, all black, a shorter more fitted or full skirt, the list goes on. It’s just not very versatile. But I love it exactly how it is styled. I particularly love the feminine gathers at the waist- unexpected for leather patchwork and a nice departure from the straight, streamlined (not fresh anymore) look of a 70s long coat. I can see how it doesn’t appeal to everyone; patchwork was a cheaper alternative to better quality leather goods in the past. And it has a crafty feel to it that can scream hippie art teacher. But it’s fun to see designers play with these references and try to do something fresh with them.

Sara G.August 7th, 2014  12:25 PM

• The shoes would be a nice accent!

bisbeeAugust 7th, 2014  1:00 PM

• To Sara G: your comments mirror mine. Tx!

lynn@maturityanditsmuse.orgAugust 7th, 2014  1:41 PM

• I love the shoes but the rest is a bit harlequin to me.

RTGAugust 8th, 2014  9:27 AM