October 29th, 2014
It Item

A Bit Of Burgundy

I’ve never been a big burgundy fan. However, yesterday morning I spied an incredibly chic girl with a burgundy Birkin, and the bag in that color looked sensational. A Birkin is not on my wish list, instead, I’ve had my eye on a few Céline pieces in this  fall color.

When I ran the British Vogue image above in an earlier post a reader commented that the shoes make the dress, and I’d have to agree. I’ve been wanting something that screams FW14, and these platforms fit the bill. Unlike many people, I have no problem wearing styles that I wore years ago and remember a pair of Prada platforms fondly. I can already hear the comments…

P.S. The burgundy calf with yellow stitching (it’s all about the stitching) is unbelievably chic. I photographed the bag at the Céline shop on Madison, and Barneys has an envelope clutch in the same color combo.

Embroidered bag

Shearling-lined boots

Mini tote

Sweater dress

Cropped trousers

• I just love those platforms. Are they in the Celine shop now? Bag is great too.

KathyOctober 29th, 2014  8:40 AM

• Kathy, because of your earlier comment, I am desperately trying to track down a pair in my size.

PrestonOctober 29th, 2014  8:47 AM

• Love the bag…won’t comment on the shoes.

bisbeeOctober 29th, 2014  8:57 AM

• Dear Preston,
    I love burgundy. I think it looks great with so many colors and comes in different shades. When I was growing up it was available as a neutral every fall and winter along with shades of navy, black, camel and grey.

StephanieOctober 29th, 2014  9:16 AM

• I wasn’t convinced about yellow stiching when the collection appeared but it has grown on me since. The more I look at it, the more I admire it!
    Actually, I am on the edge considering buying The Edge with yellow stiching. Burgundy looks particularly tempting.

ZivileOctober 29th, 2014  10:11 AM

• A few seasons back, I purchased a pair or rochas platform round toe pumps in a polished burgundy and are by far the most complimented shoes that I have received – they work with all the neutrals in my closet and the height just elevates my posture and gives that edge to my oufits.

paula c.October 29th, 2014  12:45 PM

• oh là là! Open platforms for fall! But I like these! 😉 and burgundy one of my favourites colors

MillaOctober 29th, 2014  12:55 PM

• Oh Preston, too funny “I can already hear the comments..”
    Burgundy, claret, maroon are all colours that I love for fall because they look so beautiful with the staple colours in a chic closet. Leave it to Celine to inject yellow thread and make it look fresh.
    For me the problem with platforms is not aesthetic but pragmatic: I feel more confident on a single sole heel height as I have had more turned ankles with a platform than I care to remember, go figure!

SueMOctober 29th, 2014  2:55 PM

• Burgundy is one of the chicest color there is… I am a big fan of those shoes and I, too, don’t mind wearing things that are not in fashion anymore… However i am not sold on the Céline bag, I don’t like the yellow stitches !

CarolineOctober 29th, 2014  3:34 PM

• Great platforms!!!

AnaOctober 29th, 2014  3:35 PM

• Burgundy, merlot, wine, cordovan . . . these colors have been staples with grey and navy over the years and are yummy! Thrilled to see Burgundy offered this season. For me, I only reject a style from the past because it wasn’t good in the first place. Platforms have a lot of nice variations; espadrilles were a staple in my youth, and they are a sort of platforms with their wedge shape heel. But not everything from the past is worthy of resurrection . . . crochet vests, for example. : )

PaulaOctober 30th, 2014  12:44 AM

• Sadly, I was late to the party and the platforms in burgundy are sold out everywhere. Trying a tan pair today…

PrestonOctober 30th, 2014  5:19 AM

• Curious how the tan are. They may be better as they’d go into the summer as well. Saw olive green on the website too.

KathyOctober 30th, 2014  9:50 AM

• I like the color and styling of the shoe, but the platform is too high and “clunky” looking for my taste. An inch to 1.5 inch less would make them more appealing to me. Even on a tall person, it just looks like too much shoe.

AprilOctober 30th, 2014  10:29 AM

• Love this color. Both the shoes and the bag are spot-on for Fall. I love to mix in burgundy tones, olive green, and burnt orange in small doses for the glorious Autumn months.

pindaOctober 30th, 2014  5:06 PM

• It’s funny. The yellow stitching on these Celine bags, while I like it, reminds me of “old school” Marc Jacobs bags. Remember the first ones he ever really became known for in the late 90s?

Love the burgundy leather. Such a refreshing change from black and camel.

TanyaOctober 30th, 2014  5:42 PM