June 1st, 2015
Pre-Fall

Sonia Rykiel

Sonia RykielPre-fall pieces are hitting the stores, so I went back through my posts to remind myself of what I had liked. This collection was my favorite, therefore it just seemed easier to rerun the original post…

In her second collection for Sonia Rykiel, Julie de Libran focused on the label’s history of making clothes that epitomize effortless Parisian chic. The frayed-edge denim reminds me of an amazing resort collection de Libran designed while at Louis Vuitton.

FRED LEIGHTON

BALENCIAGA

Small tote

VICTORIA, VICTORIA BECKHAM

Wool-Blend pants

ALTUZARRA

Shirtdress

• I absolutely loved what Julie de Libran was doing at Vuitton, so it’s no surprise that her collections for Rykiel are great. My favorite look is definitely the one with the high waisted white pants and tweed grey cape !

carolineJanuary 8th, 2015  9:12 AM

• Love them all, but particularly the top navy one. Also the green drapey trench is fabulous.

KathyJanuary 8th, 2015  10:47 AM

• Love! Esp. the coat with the fur collar. Where in NYC can we find this? Thanks!

SheriJanuary 8th, 2015  11:22 AM

• Love this collection.

karenJanuary 8th, 2015  12:02 PM

• LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it all!

MMSJanuary 8th, 2015  2:19 PM

• I wish the fashion industry would slow down, and start showing things closer to the actual season. I haven’t even worn summer clothes yet, and feel annoyed that what I did purchase has now gone on sale.
    I enjoy looking, but this time I’m not going to purchase until it’s time.

KathyJune 1st, 2015  7:24 PM

• I grew up with shopping in boutiques and nice department stores three times a year, no more: in September (Fall), December (resort), and April (Spring/summer). There was such energy and excitement in the air and the stores were buzzing. Now it’s a revolving door of hundreds of clothes, flashing before our eyes at breakneck pace. It may suit the short attention span of young shoppers today? It’s like a carrot that keeps moving every time I get close, and shopping online holds no particular sparkle ~ hard to share excitement with a Customer Service rep.

PaulaJune 2nd, 2015  12:08 AM

• I’ve been thinking about this, too. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t posted on the resort 2016 collections, resort 2015 has just gone on sale. At this point, I buy what I love and wear it whenever. So cold in NYC, I’d happily wear pre-fall pieces today.

PrestonJune 2nd, 2015  4:14 AM

• Every one of these pieces will end up in my closet. These are fabulous! Especially the high waisted white pants. Love.

ChennillJune 2nd, 2015  5:14 AM

• I love these looks! I am so excited to see the end of skinny jeans, I hope this look sticks around for a while. I also just laughed when I started receiving pre-fall images mixed in with Memorial Day sales. I love to look but won’t buy for a while either. The good thing about pre-fall is that is does hang around for a while. Thanks for re-posting, I had forgotten about this group.

JenniferJune 2nd, 2015  5:40 AM

• Totally agree with Kathy’s and Paula’s comments – it used to be fun to anticipate new fashion seasons – now it’s just exhausting trying to keep up!

CatJune 2nd, 2015  5:59 AM

• I completely agree with the series of comments above – it seems (and I’m not sure this is true), that the current sales started early this year. I thought July and August were the only months when if one desperately needed a last minute summer dress, it was simply too late since the stores were full of f/w while the temperature outside often remains amazingly warm through September depending upon where one lives. I, too, started to fashion whiplash. My own solution to being warm or cool enough in my clothes was to create a core four-season wardrobe that could go anywhere at anytime that worked for my lifestyle. Now I panic less – I can get dressed – and then create my “list” as next season’s pieces come in. And I completely share Kathy’s frustration – pieces that go to sale before we’ve even worn them. Watching and waiting is challenging certainly not always feasible if a pieces is going to fly off the runway, but the pace has created a bit of whiplash. On the upside, some items I thought I adored, become less desirable and are now off my s/s wish list! My theory: it’s time to wear what I bought for the long-awaited season (for those of us in the northeast) while still perusing f/w. I I lose out to uber-early pre-season shoppers, I suppose so be it.

TabithaJune 2nd, 2015  7:48 AM

• I wanted to add that I used to buy ahead because I felt (maybe I was wrong) but that the season was pretty much “released” at once, and that if the great things were snatched up early, I was sorry that I hadn’t pulled the trigger. Now, I often find that when I buy ahead, I find (as the season approaches) items that I like just as well, or even more than what I’ve already purchased and can no longer return. I think waiting, watching and refining my decisions is the way I’m going to go.

KathyJune 2nd, 2015  11:52 AM

• I love ALL these looks and couldn’t wait to comment!

Marcy CarmackJune 2nd, 2015  1:08 PM

• I love every single piece, yet what I love most is the way all clothes are mixed, in such a natural elegance and effortlessness. I love that de Libran stays true to Sonia Rykiel’s values (very Parisian rive gauche), and adds that exact touch of modernity it lacked !

carolineJune 2nd, 2015  1:42 PM

• I admire what JdL is doing at Sonia Rykiel & have seen quite a few pieces I like

That's Not My AgeJune 2nd, 2015  5:10 PM