October 27th, 2015
On My Mind

Uniform Rut

Untitled-1027b3

This is a good news, bad news post. The good news is that I love every piece that I bought for fall. The bad news? I’m wearing the outfit pictured above all the time, it’s my favorite go-to. At this rate, come November I’ll be in a serious uniform rut.

Part of the problem is my multiples obsession.  I own a huge number of turtleneck sweaters, but to the casual observer it appears that I’m wearing the same one over and over. Ditto my Frame black pants. By adding a black blouse (cannot believe that I don’t already own one) to wear with my black jeans, and a track pant to pair with a turtleneck, I’ll have a few more similar looks in my rotation.

p.s. The bottom pic is of the Gucci pumps that Kathy is referring to in the comments.

Theory shirt, Saint Laurent shirt, & Theory track pants.

MARNI

FRED LEIGHTON

Diamond earrings

LOEWE

Puzzle bag

SEE BY CHLOÉ

Velvet top

• Hi, Preston. I love your uniform! And I love your pea coat! Have you tried the Equipment slim shirts? Fit great and beautiful fabric.

LauraOctober 27th, 2015  8:39 PM

• I have the same problem. You would not believe how many crew neck simple navy sweaters, tee shirts and turtlenecks I have. I want to wear them every day with jeans. I am always buying iterations of similar things. But, those things look best, which is why I do it. And, if I find a pair of jeans that fits well, I feel like I have to have two, almost like an insurance policy in case something happens to one.

BlakelyOctober 28th, 2015  12:56 AM

• Love a uniform… that feeling as you pull on your favourite pierces that make you feel good and make you look like ‘you’. A uniform lets you get on with living while looking stylish… and you look stylish.

CiaraOctober 28th, 2015  5:20 AM

• Love your uniform: chic and so put together!

ToryOctober 28th, 2015  6:13 AM

• Love a uniform – I have multiple white shirts, grey jumpers/sweatshirts and jeans. A uniform if you are lucky to find one is the pathway to a stylish and wearable wardrobe.

I find my impulse buys or tend items are the ones worn least at the end of each season.

MelanieOctober 28th, 2015  7:28 AM

• You look fabulous and do I see the Gucci belt under your St. Laurent peacoat? It looks so good!!!
    I bought a lot of basics from Theory this year – they’ve gotten so good. I actually prefer the Theory black shirt to the SL one! What shoes are you wearing?

KathyOctober 28th, 2015  7:56 AM

• The jogger is a great addition. I have several versions of that pant and it has been my new uniform this season. I find I reach for them more frequently than my denim lately. And…LOVE your coat!

A Note On StyleOctober 28th, 2015  7:57 AM

• It’s so nice to see you in the clothes that you write about. It’s the je ne sais quoi that makes someone chic, in addition to the particular pieces they’ve selected, so it’s great to see you in action!

SBOctober 28th, 2015  8:17 AM

• I love your uniform. I do the exact same thing, btw – I bought two of the same short black Kenzo dress this fall and am very sad that it is not sold out everywhere in the US and Europe such that I can’t buy a third. I actually don’t think people notice that I wear the same things over and over; maybe they would if the clothes were patterned or loud, but if you are wearing similar clothes in neutral colors every day, it just looks like you have a consistent style.

ellaOctober 28th, 2015  8:56 AM

• What a timely post! I bought that same Theory shirt, but it ended up going back because it was too tight in the shoulders. I have a deep navy one that’s a fine cotton that I love, but the fit didn’t seem the same. I came across Stella McCartney’s Eva blouse and fell in love so much that I now have it in both white and black. I kept thinking I was nuts, but I know I’ll wear the daylights out of them. I love Equipment’s Oscar and Sloane sweaters and have them in multiple colors. They work with everything. I’m pretty consistent with the black/white/navy/grey/camel color spectrum and that works just fine. I think a lot of people have uniforms, but we’re too busy thinking about our uniforms to notice theirs.

kimOctober 28th, 2015  9:37 AM

• Kathy, when I wear the Gucci belt I’m in black loafers or black clogs, without the belt, I love the Gucci pumps in brown.I won’t double up on the ‘GG’…

PrestonOctober 28th, 2015  9:41 AM

• As usual, after a few days when you post something that’s a bit “fashion forward” I come to love it. I assume you’re talking about the GG loafer/pumps that you featured? I love them now. Do they run TTS?

KathyOctober 28th, 2015  10:55 AM

• Yes, TTS, maybe even a tad large. I am a 37.5/38 and the 37.5 fits perfectly. These Gucci pumps are my fall “fashion-forward” item for sure, but they are also super comfortable and I will wear them often.

PrestonOctober 28th, 2015  11:17 AM

• I can’t imagine not having a uniform! Just as President Obama said in Vanity Fair as to why he only wears blue and grey suits – because he already has too many other decisions to make. I think this probably applies for most of us in our lives, with too many other important decisions to make around our families and our careers. Preston, it is nice to see photos of you putting it all together. You look spectacular!

gpcOctober 28th, 2015  4:29 PM

• Preston, I admire you and all those with the wardrobe discipline to have a uniform. I have never been able to be that rigorous in my approach to fashion, although I am a long ways from being as adventurous as some are. I am still looking to increase the diversity of styles that I have, even though my normal style looks like it is from Gucci’s fall collection. While monochromatic and retrained is always tasteful, I say let’s all add more color, pattern and fun to our wardrobes! On my next major shopping excursion, I’m planning to try more styles outside of my comfort zone. And, this fall I will wear the various brooches, precious and costume, that I have collected, a la the July Vogue. A little ( or perhaps more than a little) eccentricity can be good.

RebeccaOctober 28th, 2015  7:49 PM

• Late to the conversation, but I think having a ‘uniform’ is very natural and healthy behavior. Most of the pieces I buy are more likely to be worn for what I refer to as ‘destinations’–a party, an event, a meeting, a trip, etc.–than running around every day–to the store, walking the dog, meeting a friend for coffee, etc. But our uniforms can and should include good pieces and good investments. I purchased a beautiful shade of blue Herno wool coat, knee length, which will be the foundation of my winter uniform, with jeans and a turtleneck, sneakers or ankle boots, a nice belt, cashmere scarf and a leather glove for driving. I can’t wear all black–it makes women my age look tired–but blues, greys, denim, brown suede shoes, cords, one favorite handbag . . . those are my uniform pieces. And three cheers for turtlenecks!

PaulaOctober 28th, 2015  11:46 PM

• I love monochrome/tonal dressing but I find all black a bit too depressing as we head into winter! I probably wear similar everyday outfits but either with a splash of color in my top or more navy/beige/olive tones.

MMSOctober 29th, 2015  6:05 AM

• Agree with Paula, especially as I age, I don’t want to spend too much mental energy deciding what to wear and still look chic. An uniform helps codify the process. Adding your personal style, i.e. a handbag, belt, scarf or piece of jewelry elevates above just an uniform. Someone’s uniform can be bright prints or only dresses and skirts. There are many variations on an uniform.

RonicaOctober 30th, 2015  6:24 PM

• My love of a uniform goes back to parochial school. There was nothing to work out or think about. Plaid just always worked and looked good. This has not changed for me so I couldn’t live without the ease of a uniform. Knowing your style inside and out makes it even easier.

I was in two minds about those Gucci pumps because of the logo but I have put my name down for the cognac colored ones. I have miraculously found a pair of the Saint Laurent pumps in black and bought those but I may also get the Gucci in black. As well. The pieces that fit my look don’t come around very often so when they do I grab what I can.

RTGOctober 31st, 2015  4:37 AM

• The black suede Gucci pumps arrived and I love them. Cognac on their way! Seriously comfortable too.

KathyOctober 31st, 2015  9:47 AM

• Throw ’em a fashion curve ball w/ a “Mock Neck”…! 😉

JTNovember 3rd, 2015  11:18 AM

• Nothing wrong with wearing the same things, especially when your uniform is as good as this one ! I absolutely adore your SL and Theory pieces, and the Gucci heeled loafers are amazing !

CarolineNovember 4th, 2015  3:50 AM