January 21st, 2016
On My Mind

Goodbye, Grace

Grace Coddington has stepped down as creative director of Vogue. The renowned editor isn’t retiring per se, in her new role as creative director at large she will keep an office at the magazine (GC will do four stories a year) and is working on another book. Significantly, the downshift will allow Grace to collaborate on outside projects.

Grace’s news shouldn’t be a surprise,  yet it took me aback nonetheless. We worked together for over 10 years, a memorable period in my career. The times they are a changin’.

FRED LEIGHTON

BALENCIAGA

Small tote

VICTORIA, VICTORIA BECKHAM

Wool-Blend pants

ALTUZARRA

Shirtdress

• She is wonderful. Readers of Vogue will miss her. But…stepping back, winding down careers, moving onto other things….it comes to us all.

Sue BurpeeJanuary 21st, 2016  8:11 AM

• It will be interesting to watch her and see what she does with the extra space in her life.

KathyJanuary 21st, 2016  8:56 AM

• She’s fabulous…a career move at 74,, she’s amazing and an inspiration to all women.

SusanJanuary 21st, 2016  9:15 AM

• Love Grace- she’s got such an amazing eye.

MelanieJanuary 21st, 2016  9:45 AM

• How fortunate you are to have worked with her for ten years. Her unique talent defined several decades at Vogue and her creativity will certainly be missed. At 74, and not retiring per se, I’m looking forward to see what she does next.

Karima, A Note On Style

KarimaJanuary 21st, 2016  9:46 AM

• I love Grace. Her contributions are really what made Vogue so special in my opinion. It will never be the same and Anna’s infatuation with celebrities, particularly the Kardashians, has been a complete turn off for me.

DianaJanuary 21st, 2016  9:46 AM

• Grace seems like someone who doesn’t look back and only moves forward. Not a bad thing for professional purposes. To echo Susan, she is inspirational.

AprilJanuary 21st, 2016  9:55 AM

• I will miss her point of view in Vogue but am looking forward to seeing what she does next.

YNYJanuary 21st, 2016  10:51 AM

• The idea of re-inventing oneself and one’s career at age 74 is encouraging and optimistic. Ms. Coddington may have been the true fashion talent at Vogue, along with Ms. Goodman. For me, Vogue went astray a very long time ago, more interested in fame, celebrity, and political propaganda than in fashion.

PaulaJanuary 21st, 2016  12:30 PM

• This is not welcome news. Grace Coddington’s editorial work was really my favorite in Vogue. She had a real talent.

Oh, well, all good things must come to an end. I wish her well!

I’m sure you’ve all watched “September Issue”. It was great start to finish, but the segments with Grace were really nice – she seems to have real humanity.

LilyJanuary 21st, 2016  2:02 PM

• Re Paula / Diana’s comments: I wish someone could explain Vogue’s attention to the Kardashians. It’s mystifying.

LilyJanuary 21st, 2016  2:04 PM

• Lily
    The Kardashians hoover up eyeballs. They are the ultimate click-bait.

SharonJanuary 21st, 2016  7:40 PM

• Agreed. With Paula/Diana: The only Vogue since 1960 that I have NEVER opened was the Kardashian issue.

LynnJanuary 21st, 2016  9:42 PM

• “Grace”fully Good Bye…..

Jeffrey ThurnherJanuary 22nd, 2016  1:27 AM

• Grace is fantastic, so talented – be interesting to see what happens next at Vogue

That's Not My AgeJanuary 22nd, 2016  10:38 AM

• Sheesh! I know I am old; but wow. “hoover up eyeballs”!???
    I do get the “click bait”…maybe. I don’t get the interest in them. Watching a train wreck. I guess there are lots of people who like both.
    Yowzers!! I will never get them. It is okay.

Grace is a rare talented lovely person. She has done an amazing, brilliant job. I hope her influence will continue!!!

Penelope BianchiJanuary 23rd, 2016  1:15 AM

• I so agree with Susan, April and Paula! Moving forward at 74 is inspiring and wonderful! What a role model for all of us!

I had an inspirational mother…..who said, at each birthday…..” I can’t wait to see what happens this year!!!”; she also quoted someone: “don’t look in the rear-view mirror”; the past is gone! Look through the windshield; that is what is coming! And most of all……enjoy today!!!”!!!

Penelope BianchiJanuary 23rd, 2016  1:20 AM

• Preston, did you see System magazine (with Raf on the cover )?. There’s a great feature on book collectors. Grace is interviewed in it and says some interesting stuff about photography and magazines (and books of course).

disneyrollergirlJanuary 27th, 2016  7:30 AM