March 10th, 2016
It Item

Going Green, Cont.

If you want a green handbag, Marni has a few great ones to choose from. I have the Bandolier in bottle green and love it.

Marni Bandolier, Tote, and Trunk

Bucket bag

Leather skirt

Ankle boots

Jersey dress

Ankle boots

Sik blouse

Ankle boots

Leather jacket

Silk scarf black

• They’re all so great! I love the Bandolier, but am curious since it’s such a flat bag, how it looks when stuff is inside?

KathyMarch 10th, 2016  10:15 AM

• This brings me to a problem I’ve been having lately. These bags are quite beautiful. But good handbags are so expensive these days, I struggle with actually purchasing any of them. I visit them in the stores, try them on, consider them, then reject them as being ‘less than perfect’, and for that kind of money, they need to be closer to perfect. And, as a consequence, I never seem to buy any new bags, although I desperately need a new one. I’m not poor. I can afford to spend several thousand on a bag if I wanted it – but I’m practical and find none of them meet the threshold that I need to let go of that money!

Am I the only one who feels this way?

LilyMarch 10th, 2016  12:57 PM

• I’m feeling the same as Lily.
    Not wanting to part with my hard earned cash if the feel of the bag isn’t right. And I’m finding it difficult to find a new great everyday bag.

To me it feels like the designs at the high end are copying each other style.. then the high street copies the high end so there is no origanilty of design existin any more. Think MK copying Celine!

I have reverted back to lovely Italian leather bags purchased approx 10 years ago and yes they were well looked after….
    They feel fresh and look great again. Better still not only are they unique pieces but the cost per wear is now negative… great investment!
    The Marni trunk bag above is impractical as the lock isn’t great after a while (noted from shop demo bag).

CelesteMarch 10th, 2016  6:55 PM

• Three cheers for Lily and Celeste for for touching on what chic-but-practical women are all thinking: how much pleasure can a super expensive handbag (or any other clothing item) really bring? The test question for me is, what would my extremely stylish-and-extremely-smart mother think about this purchase? Will I feel embarrassed if my 25 year-old daughter finds out what I paid for this? (And should I be worried if she is not even phased by the price tag?). And what exactly is attracting me to this item? Who is the manufacturer, do they run a good company? Are any Americans involved in the production? Am I inadvertently funding over-priced ads in Vogue magazine or other causes I don’t believe in? Is this item really worth it in terms of it’s craftsmanship and beauty? Being dressed head-to-toe in highly priced items has always felt vulgar and gauche to me and is not my definition of chic. The occasional splurge can be a great investment and bring pleasure for many occasions and many years. My advice: Go slowly and be a harsh judge before you hand over your hard earned money to anyone. Once you purchase the item, love it and wear it with joy.

PaulaMarch 10th, 2016  11:46 PM

• Clare Vivier has stylish and affordable bags…and I believe she just opened a new store in Brooklyn but you can also shop online.

KellieMarch 11th, 2016  8:25 AM

• What an intelligent and articulate group of commenters weighing in today. I agree with Lily, Paula and Celeste. . Lucky for me, I have a twenty five year old Loewe dark green bag (my mother wasn’t using) that has been lovingly cared for over the years. As my grandmother taught me, “you buy good and you have”.

karenMarch 11th, 2016  8:31 AM

• Interesting discussion. I thought I was the only one feeling this sense of “fashion fatigue” that has come with the over the top prices of late. I find it’s taken a lot of the fun out of shopping and fashion for me.

KathyMarch 11th, 2016  8:56 AM

• I have found that my cost per wear is lowest with my most expensive bags. They last forever, don’t go out of style, and I never tire of them. When I buy less expensive things I tend to use them a lot less.

ellaMarch 11th, 2016  9:12 AM

• I love the green color and that is my main interest in this post. Bags are tough, since besides looking good, they have to fit your needs. I have one cross body bag and otherwise my bags are all tote styles. After years of buying different styles, I tumbled to the fact the tote is what works for me for every day. I also have a hard time justifying the price of high end handbags. Especially when there are such nice quality bags available for less. I am think Brooks Bros, Cole Haan and Brahmin are examples of this.

AprilMarch 11th, 2016  9:41 AM

• Designer clothing and accessories prices have certainly skyrocketed in the last few years. I look back at product posts and can see the rise clearly. A $1250. crossbody bag that I was considering last summer is now $1700—that is a significant change for the same item. This is why I buy a few good pieces and wear them often, and only one fashion-forward item a season to keep my look current.

PrestonMarch 12th, 2016  7:36 AM

• I think Preston’s strategy is a good one. However, I’m not quite sure what a “fashion forward” item might be. Can you give us a few examples of items that would keep a classic look “current” for the spring/summer?

KathyMarch 12th, 2016  9:13 AM

• Kathy, my current fashion forward items are the Gucci loafer mules and white Frame jeans with frayed hems that I did myself.

PrestonMarch 12th, 2016  9:24 AM

• April, I love the A.P.C. bags—they are well made and a good price point.

PrestonMarch 12th, 2016  9:30 AM

• Thanks!

KathyMarch 12th, 2016  9:47 AM

• I love this colour

That's Not My AgeMarch 12th, 2016  1:55 PM

• Thanks for the bag tip, Preston. I love white jeans with a little fringe at the hem. So summer!

AprilMarch 12th, 2016  5:00 PM

• Great discussion in this post ~ thanks for sharing ladies!

BethMarch 17th, 2016  6:43 AM