April 29th, 2016
It items

Tinker, Tailor…

A number of years ago I bought a The Row Marina shift dress and wore it only once—it was too short.  After relegating the shift to the back of my closet for a few seasons, I pulled it out and shortened it into a tunic (it’s almost identical to the Proenza Schouler top above). Now, I wear it all the time over these J. Brand white jeans. I wore this look yesterday to a lunch at The Mercer Kitchen to pitch a TV show.

J.Brand jeansProenza Schouler topGucci slides.

Long wool blazer

JOSEPH

Jamie panelled silk dress

REJINA PYO

Lila hooded checked wool-blend duffle coat

JOSEPH

Sinclair sucked silk-crepe blouse

JOSEPH

Collins draped silk skirt

LOEWE

Point-toe navy suede and leather chelsea boots

KHAITE

Doris cotton-gabardine trench coat

GIANVITO ROSSI

55 leather knee boots

VICTORIA, VICTORIA BECKHAM

Color-block ribbed merino wool turtleneck sweater

ISABEL MARANT

Nirvy studded leather sandals

REJINA PYO

Avery oversized belted two-tone cotton twill trench coat

J.W. ANDERSON

Scare Crow suede ankle boots

• How exciting. Anything you can share with us? How did the pitch go?

AnnApril 29th, 2016  4:28 PM

• I’d be happy to wear the row dress as a tunic air the proenza schouler top and those Gucci slides anytime!

Paula BApril 29th, 2016  10:35 PM

• wondering – what are your thoughts on white J Brand 811’s vs Frame Le Skinny de Jeanne’s?

AbbyApril 30th, 2016  5:36 AM

• J Brand’s denim is thicker, which I prefer when white. I like my jeans (in any color) to be trim and close-fitting, otherwise they look like ‘Mom’ jeans to me.

PrestonApril 30th, 2016  5:57 AM

• Preston, love your choice to create the tunic out of a too short dress – very smart!

I’m a long-time fan of slides – like the Gucci you show here – for these in-between season days. How do you feel about slides in patent? Too much? I (and good friends) have been back and forth on patent in general recently – I am tempted to cut the cord, but am curious about your thoughts.

TabithaApril 30th, 2016  7:12 AM

• I love my Valentino Tangos in patent, not sure how I’d feel about patent slides. The calf on the Gucci pair is beautiful.

PrestonApril 30th, 2016  7:33 AM

• My two cents about patent slides: I had a pair and gave them away as the leather didn’t have enough “give” and so they were murder on the top of my toes. I prefer a softer leather or suede in a slide.

SueMApril 30th, 2016  7:50 AM

• Love the outfit, the PS top is great. Good luck with whatever you’re pitching…..they’d be lucky to have you.

KathyApril 30th, 2016  8:14 AM

• I, too, wish you the best of luck in your project. But please do NOT give up this wonderful blog.

BarbaraApril 30th, 2016  9:36 AM

• Great outfit. And how exciting to hear about your pitch! Please do share with us when you can.

C.MicholApril 30th, 2016  11:14 AM

• OOOh a pitch, Preston! Best of luck, whatever it is, I have a feeling it will be brilliant.

disneyrollergirlApril 30th, 2016  1:15 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated. Preachy comments about body weight, age, smoking, and furs will not be posted.