November 6th, 2016
British Vogue

Ski Trip

Actually, two ski trips—New England after Christmas and out West in the spring.  My ski pants need to be updated, stat.

Images © British Vogue

Legging vs. Ski Pants

CALVIN KLEIN 205W39NYC

Checked owl-blend and printed quilted cotton coat

THE ROW

Ashland cropped mid-rise straight-leg jeans

FRYE

Iliana Harkness bucket hobo

Wool and cashmere cardigan

Lauren flat suede Mary Jane slide

Round-frame tortoiseshell sunglasses

JOSEPH

Reversible leather and fur coat

GIANVITO ROSSI

Linda 45 leather pumps

TOMAS MAIER

Zip-detailed stretch-cotton bomber jacket

BURBERRY

Fair Isle cashmere and wool-blend vest

ULLA JOHNSON

Maisie ruffled crinkled silk-satin blouse

Wool-gabardine coat

• I have both leggings and ski pants that I purchased from Bogner 20 years ago (they still fit). I have worn the ski pants a lot more as these are windproof and better protection in wet conditions; also a bit warmer, with more room for layering.

RebeccaNovember 6th, 2016  11:26 AM

• Hello! As much as I like the look of the leggings, they don’t convey that one is a serious skier. We ski predominantly at Whistler, and in Sun Valley and Aspen on occasion. Performance of skiwear is critical in the Northwest. We ski in windy, damp, and blizzard conditions! I save my less technical gear for bluebird days.

LouisaNovember 6th, 2016  6:15 PM

• As someone who’s skied for 53 years and now does all of it out West, ski pants are best. Even in Spring, your days can start chilly and be sloppy wet by afternoon. I second making sure the pants are windproof and have room to adjust layers.

kimNovember 6th, 2016  6:30 PM

• I like these comments so far- as someone who has never skied I feel I now know a tinsy bit of the flavour of ski fashion…..
    Aesthetically- I like the pattern ski suit.

RuthNovember 7th, 2016  7:05 AM

• Long time since I have skied but strongly recommend the pants over leggings, for all the reasons stated in previous comments. I have made the mistake of wearing leggings while skiing in Austria and it was sooo cold even with thermals on.

Wishing you a happy and safe skiing holiday.

ClaireNovember 7th, 2016  7:33 AM

• Does anyone know if moncler jackets are warm enough for skiing in vail or if they are just made to be pretty? Any suggestions for brands of ski pants that aren’t crazy priced but will hold up would be greatly appreciated.

SimoneNovember 7th, 2016  8:36 AM

• Simone,

I wear my Moncler in Aspen (and hopefully Park City this season) and it is warm and dry! I love it.

MoiraNovember 7th, 2016  10:43 AM

• Simone, first of all, it’s the time of year you’re skiing Vail. If you’re going at Christmas, you can easily have days where the temp itself is below zero and then you factor in the wind…brrrr. I’m sure Moncler has jackets that would be warm enough, but you need something that would also allow you to move while skiing, so it also depends on the style of the jacket itself. I have a number of pieces by Spyder that I really like and you can never go wrong with North Face or Patagonia. It’s always nice to feel like you look good when you ski, but nothing is worse than not being warm and dry.

kimNovember 7th, 2016  10:58 AM

• As someone who skis all season in Aspen, I recommend ski pants and a good technical jacket. The ones by Kjus are warm and effective, with lots of pockets and hidden neck warmers or balaclavas. Other ski fashion looks great if you are only planning on wearing it in the ski lodge! Don’t forget merino long johns for the rest of your outfit.

SusanNovember 7th, 2016  11:02 AM

• ski pants for sure. out west ( tahoe) people will laugh at leggings. pants keep the snow out, keeps you dry for apre ski.

LynetteNovember 7th, 2016  12:18 PM

• I wear a Moncler jacket and it’s great. My old ski pants have a bib, which I don’t like. I’m looking for just pants.

PrestonNovember 7th, 2016  12:32 PM

• p.s. I am very happy with the fit and look of Kjus pants. where fashion meets function!

LynetteNovember 7th, 2016  12:38 PM

• Please share your rec’s for underwear, if allergic to wool, even blends of it. Best gloves as well, that seems to be my biggest crutch, with poor circulatory issues. Thanks.

Jean LouiseNovember 7th, 2016  2:19 PM

• For warmth, wind resistance, and staying dry, I vote ski pants. As the day warms up, remove layers from the top half of your body, not the bottom half. Bogner is the very best ski wear – they have been in the business for decades. I often carried a second pair of gloves which are actually light weight liners. They can be worn under regular ski gloves for warmth or on their own. Hand/foot warmers are helpful for bitter temperatures.

PaulaNovember 7th, 2016  3:44 PM

• @Paula, I wear Icebreaker merino wool base layers, but a girlfriend loves Falke in wool (they also make synthetic). For mid weight layers I like Bogner and Arcteryx. Some kind of Gore-Tex shell or outer layer is essential in the Pac NW due to wind and heavy snow.

LouisaNovember 7th, 2016  5:29 PM

• Whoops! My comment was in response to Jean Louise.

LouisaNovember 7th, 2016  5:30 PM

• Ski pants all the way…..Moncler is warm but what you need is a jacket with a snow skirt….

nitiNovember 7th, 2016  11:22 PM

• Agree with Louisa’s suggestions. The Rocky mountain range is unforgiving. Better to be too warm than too cold. Patagonia also makes wool and synthetic base layers. Designed to keep you warm and dry.

PaulaNovember 7th, 2016  11:54 PM

• Other suggestions for ski pants? Mine are a bit too baggy, not all that flattering and it’s time for replacements, but I’m not sure I’m ready to spend $400 for bogner when I’m only lucky enough to go a couple days a year

LauraNovember 8th, 2016  7:11 AM

• @Laura, regarding pants and brands — do you have a ski shop nearby? I would not focus on brand, especially if you only ski a few times a year. Try on a lot of pairs (like shopping for jeans). Consider whether you want insulated pants or a shell style that would necessitate a wicking base layer. I vote for Gore-Tex for breathable, waterproof and windproof gear, however, it’s not cheap! Black ski pants might sound boring, but you will find hundreds of options at a specialty ski shop in a range of prices. More unique options can be easily found at ski resorts, especially end of season sales (March). Good luck!

LouisaNovember 8th, 2016  10:31 AM

• I will simply weigh in on the fantastic blue jacket in the top photo. Preston, do you know the brand?

CatherineNovember 8th, 2016  6:32 PM

Saint Laurent
"The New Garconne- How to be a Modern Gentlewoman"
Spring Reading Trifecta