I cleaned out my closet. Nothing was spared from my scrutiny and I ruthlessly tossed things that I had been holding onto for far too long. There may be less in there, but I wear everything I have.
Goop has closets on the brain too and posted a great newsletter last week about spring trends and how to organize and maintain your clothes. But what are closet essentials, the things that make a closet fully functional?
Here is my list.
1. A mirror, 3 way would be ideal
2. A chair
3. Good light
4. A rug (so you can try on shoes at home)
5. Hooks or rack to hang outfits being considered
6. A steamer (I have a Rowenta Precision Valet)
7. Padded hangers and skirt hangers with clips (toss or return all wire hangers from the cleaners).
8. Shoe racks. I do not like my shoes in boxes because I forget I have them.
9. A small table to put out accessories being considered
10. Bowls for odds and ends, a trash can and a laundry basket
11. A push-pin board with pictures of inspirational outfits, list of clothing needs, etc.
I like to be able to see what I own and have belts hung on hooks on the wall and handbags are on shelves. My shoes are on open shelves too. The downside to having everything out is you need to dust frequently.
Matias ruffled broderie anglaise-trimmed cotton-poplin blouse
Charlotte leather ankle boots
Silvery Crepe printed dress
Collection gold, silver and diamond ring
Eyelet-embellished intarsia merino wool turtleneck sweater
Mid-heel suede knee-high boots
Beirut 18-karat rose gold diamond ring
Camilla one-shoulder textured-organic cotton maxi dress
medium Trunk shoulder bag
Cotton-blend poplin top
Gold vermeil hoop earrings