February 15th, 2017
It Item

Black Shorts

After I put up the previous post on shorts, some thoughtful comments came in.

I only have the Frame shorts in black, so I cannot address the complaint about the white ones turning pink. But, I do understand the length issue and have searched for a few longer pairs, and will keep searching as we head into spring.

Regarding the “of the moment” comment– many women prefer frayed cutoffs, I like these.  However, last year I ran a post on a frayed denim skirt and got some comments that went off track, so I took it down. But really, to each her own.

Ah, the age question, my favorite! I believe that if you love something and it’s not too revealing/tight/short etc., then wear it. I know lots of women over 70 who wear Stan Smith sneakers, skinny jeans, and shorts!

Isabel Marant, Chloé, Toteme below, and Vince.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 10.49.05 AM

Wool-crepe skirt

BALENCIAGA

Studded textured-leather sandals

BOTTEGA VENETA

Rushed wool-crepe midi dress

THE ROW

Coco suede and moire pumps

JOSEPH

Cotton-Polio wrap midi skirt

TOD'S

Leather slip-on sandals

MARK CROSS

Zipped tote

• I wish I could wear shorts with confidence. But, alas, I am confident I cannot! So, I don’t. I agree, however, if you feel you can and like the look, go for it regardless of age. Its such a carefree style!

AprilFebruary 15th, 2017  5:17 PM

• Your post last summer (or the year before? it’s a blur!) about black shorts inspired me to buy a pair, which I quite love. That, in turn, got me hunting for a pair of grey or black wool ones to wear with tights in the autumn and winter (I live in Seattle, where it’s seldom cold, so this is totally appropriate winter wear). I have yet to find a pair I love, but will keep hunting until I do…

Enjoy your shorts, and go with your bad self!

NikFebruary 15th, 2017  6:15 PM

• Black shorts have a great ‘city style,’ and when the heat is really on, I think they will be a nice, polished alternative to white jeans and sundresses. Top two are not too short for me. Loving this idea!

PaulaFebruary 16th, 2017  12:22 AM

• Though I have friends in their 70’s whose legs are still great mine from the knee up are not . The is issue what to wear on a country walk in the hot summer .
    I have found a pair of Eileen Fisher loose linen shorts that hit mid knee and I pair them with a slightly over size linen shirt from J Crew !

BrookeFebruary 16th, 2017  9:32 AM

• I’m 5’9, 58 and have worked out regularly for years including riding horses and skiing. I know that my legs look just fine in a pair of shorts, but given my height it’s all about the inseam. A 5″ inseam is a disaster for me, but 7+ is much more flattering and comfortable. In the city, I’d look for something closer to a 9″, but definitely “yes” to black!

kimFebruary 16th, 2017  10:56 AM

• This selection of shorts – the straight line style especially looks elegant and inspires a nice little trim up…..ready for spring. And black yes- a colour for shorts or in my case- a certain age in shorts without looking like a spectacle……:-) Cool!

RuthFebruary 16th, 2017  1:08 PM

• Sort of related, but not…do you have any recs for cute golfwear??? Tory Sport is adorable, but curious if you know of anymore??
    Thanks.

Emily JonesFebruary 16th, 2017  3:13 PM

• Try L’Etoile Sport

PrestonFebruary 16th, 2017  3:48 PM

• For golf shorts, I try to stop into the pro shop whenever we visit a resort hotel or destination golf course. Also, local club pro shops are generally dying to sell to anyone who walks in the door. I wear my golf shorts as ‘sport shorts,’ for walks on hot summer days, etc. They hit a little above knee, breathable fabric, have some stretch, great for walks and bike rides.

PaulaFebruary 16th, 2017  4:19 PM

• For golf, etc. McLaughlin’s email today showed skorts.

LynnFebruary 16th, 2017  10:33 PM