February 15th, 2017
It item

My Favorite Shorts

These are my favorite shorts– denim cutoffs but not frayed, and super comfortable because they have some stretch (I recommend going down a size). When I spotted them last year I snapped them up; black shorts are not always easy to find.

Frame shorts black and white.

J. CREW

Demi-fine 14K gold-plated hoop

Oversized-lapel double-breasted wool-blend coat

Quincy shiny ballerina loafer mule

BURBERRY

Pleated checked wool midi skirt

CALVIN KLEIN 205W39NYC

Checked wool blazer

CALVIN KLEIN 205W39NYC

High-rise straight-leg jeans

MONCLER

Blanche leather ankle boots

Bellechasse medium leather-trimmed canvas bag

PRADA

Double breasted coat

PRADA

Flared corduroy trousers

Square belt bag

PRADA

Flared corduroy trousers

• These look lovely-and very lovely on the slim…
    ( looks down-scratches head…oh dear!!)

RuthFebruary 15th, 2017  8:17 AM

• And I am 51 and 5’10 hmmm might need better under garments!

AllisonFebruary 15th, 2017  9:13 AM

• I’m in my 50’s and have to sadly admit, I can’t wear these anymore:( They are so cute!!

MarcyFebruary 15th, 2017  10:06 AM

• These are cute and are exactly the style of shorts I love. But I find myself wondering, “When am I too old to wear short shorts?” I hope I don’t have to give these up yet, but I am mid fifties; I will re-evaluate my legs after an intense regimen of cross- country skiing, biking, and horseback riding over the next few months.

RebeccaFebruary 15th, 2017  10:07 AM

• I got this shorts in white last year, and although they look good the quality isn’t good (turned a bit pink although i wash them in a all white cycle, and the fabric looks cheap). it hurts because i paid 170 for them last summer but i love the design so….

Sharon RozenthalFebruary 15th, 2017  10:09 AM

• I wore these last year in black. Whilst they are cute, they are not very ‘of the moment’ now. I would switch up to some high waisted shorts – like Alexander wang Bite shorts in 2 sizes bigger if you are uncertain of how short they are, or citizens of humanity Corey short in high waist dark blue, or 7 for all mankind has cute cut offs in black and light blue. They are more flattering on curvy shapes and cute with platform sandals and cropped tips or shirts tucked in. No need for them in white either, some cute Carven lace shorts from this year or last would be a much better option.

MichelleFebruary 15th, 2017  10:45 AM

• Preston, what is your opinion on when one is too old to wear short shorts? It’s like hair bows , ripped jeans and iconic adidas shoes . I love them. But at 39, I feel I’m too old…especially when my sons middle school peers are wearing these same things?

GraceFebruary 15th, 2017  12:22 PM

• I think the answer to the “Am I too old?” question is in the question itself. If you’re asking it, then you probably won’t feel confident in the shorts, so maybe choose something you’ll feel good in. I’m an almost 48 year old Pilates instructor with a very petite, fit frame and I just don’t feel like I can do it anymore. And it’s all in my head.

Tori MordecaiFebruary 15th, 2017  1:38 PM

• Weighing in on the age issue – 39 is young. Wear shorts. Your legs and skin are not going to look better in 10 years than they do now. I find that certain youthful looks can be pulled off as a woman gets older, it’s just how you choose to put them together. Preston routinely shows looks that are youthful and works them in a sophisticated way. I wouldn’t wear hair bows, Adidas, and shorts all together unless you are 18. But Adidas with a sophisticated jean, sleek hair, and good t-shirt would look great on a woman 39, 49, or 59! I think shorts are very do-able for a woman in reasonable shape. For myself, I moved to longer shorts (slim, just above the knee), and wear them all summer with a good t-shirt and a quilted jacket.

PaulaFebruary 15th, 2017  1:49 PM

• . . . More important than age is a mother not looking ‘hot,’ especially when you are raising teenagers. I am shocked to see when we are traveling all of the mothers looking sexy on family vacations. Kids want mom to look like a mom.

PaulaFebruary 15th, 2017  1:54 PM

• Ladies-
    I just put up another post where I weigh in on these questions.

PrestonFebruary 15th, 2017  1:57 PM

• There is a great pair of black linen shorts on Lagarconne by Lavestiaire de Jeanne if you like a bit of a dropped in seam. Love all of your posts. I always check you out first thing in the morning. You have wonderful taste. Thanks

BetsyFebruary 15th, 2017  5:47 PM

• Thank you, Betsy- I’m looking at La Garconne as I write this (and thank you for your nice comment).

PrestonFebruary 15th, 2017  5:53 PM

• I adore these black shorts from last year. I am in my late 40’s and do not feel they are inappropriate when paired when flats and a conservative or blousy top. Just because for some reason the price pained me for shorts and I knew I would wear them to death, I also bought the Gap version so I could “save” the FRAME ones – a backup pair- sound familiar Preston? 😉

MaryBFebruary 15th, 2017  8:30 PM

• Yes, Mary, very familiar 🙂

PrestonFebruary 15th, 2017  9:09 PM

• Preston and everyone else – thank you for responding to my question! It made my day 🙂
    I take to heart what such a stylish community as yourselves have to say. So thank you! And I love the practical advice.
    Grace

GraceFebruary 15th, 2017  11:17 PM

• Just looked up the Le Vestaire shorts . I know it sounds crazy but the Eileen Fisher linen shorts I used last summer are full and a great length – not as dramatic a style but I think that’s good . I am now looking for a pair of khaki pants that I can hem to mid knee . The need for shorts one of the most challenging parts of aging !

BrookeFebruary 16th, 2017  9:43 AM

• I have them in white from last year, and I’m going to be 65 this summer. Strangely, in LA you don’t see women in shorts much, at the beach or over a swimsuit by the pool, for tennis, but not out, even in the most casual places. Not sure why?

KathyFebruary 16th, 2017  10:11 AM

• Great choices. Sadly can’t wear them to the club (no denim as a rule, unless it is white). Would love to hear club-friendly options!

ErikaFebruary 27th, 2017  6:32 PM

HRH The Duchess Of Cambridge
Is Cauliflower The New Kale?
A Strong Suit