September 15th, 2017
It item

Sock Boot Dilemma

My friend Amy recommended the documentary ‘Minimalism’. As Helmut Lang’s casting director in the late 90s/early 2000s, I assumed that it was about fashion and I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t heard of it. Not so. It’s about over-consumerism and finding happiness by living with less. Ironically, as I was watching, I was loading product into the kic shop. At first I felt guilty, but then I realized that I actually encourage my readers to buy 1/buy quality, which is what the founders of The Minimalists believe, too.

Weirdly, this brings me to sock booties. Last spring I had my eye on the Burberry pair and posted on them. I waffled and didn’t buy them. Recently I was in Zara and picked up a pair thinking they’d be inexpensive and fun. Will I wear them? No, they’re just not me. But, still wanting a pair like the ones in the street style photo above, I dug into my closet and found an old pair of Manolo Blahnik stretch suede boots with a kitten heel and will have them shortened—may not be minimalism, but it is recycling, and that’s good, too.

Hedvig Opshaug @hedvigso

BOTTEGA VENETA

Lauren intrecciato leather clutch

Oversized wool-blend cape

JOSEPH

Den high-rise straight-leg jeans

AQUAZZURA + CLAUDIA SCHIFFER

Le Marais leather boots

ERDEM X H&M

Mohair-blend sweater

Square belt bag

STUART WEITZMAN

Cling Mimi suede ankle boots

Bellechasse medium leather-trimmed canvas bag

Contrast-trim shearling jacket

College medium quilted leather shoulder bag

GUCCI

Embellished wool coat

LOEWE

Hammock small leather tote

• Hi Preston, ok so the sock boot dilemma continues. Any suggestions for how to wear them other than with a mini? Thanks as always!

SuWuSeptember 15th, 2017  3:55 PM

• Hooray for the KIC Shop! Minimalism as a way of life has come in and out of vogue since the ’60s. IMHO, no one should ever feel guilt about their consuming habits. It’s private, personal and no one else’s business. Habits change throughout life and the things we select for our life can bring pleasure and joy, as in the case of a beloved home, pet, or gifts for loved ones. As I get older, I consume less, which I think is common. Things I purchased 20+ years ago are in our children’s homes now. But our 20-something kids are in full swing consumer mode, furnishing apartments, building work wardrobes, experimenting with new products and enjoying the fruits of their labor. We all know stuff doesn’t guarantee happiness, but unless it’s glorified and worshiped, it’s not evil and our consumerism can make life more interesting, creative, enjoyable. It also supports a global economy and feeds families. : )

PaulaSeptember 16th, 2017  12:54 AM

• I’ve tried on the sock boot. But nope. Can’t. This is a style moment when I’ll just have to say “pass”.

TroyceSeptember 16th, 2017  8:33 AM

• I grapple with this all the time Preston mainly because I am ready to downsize our life! I too have a Shopping Blog (thats in case anyone else is commenting and reading this -and wondering the context) and sharing what I want to buy and add to my life. I think it is a balance like Paula and you said above. – even Maria Koda says it in her book about cleaning out your life. Love what you have and what you bought . Buying a beautiful blouse or even a great deal at Uniqlo make me happy and that is part of why I like to shop. Do I buy everything I suggest, no! But I sure as hell love the hunt and when I find something that fits, looks good on me and makes me happy – I don’t think that is a bad thing. I also love a good purge day and I am looking forward to changing over my closet to fall and giving away everything I have from Summer that I never wore. So it is an ebb and flow in my closet. In and out! With the really good pieces hanging tight! 😉 xxRidgely

Ridgely BrodeSeptember 16th, 2017  8:35 AM

• Especially enjoyed Paula’s comments. Well said and too true!

SusanSeptember 16th, 2017  10:29 AM

• I am pulling out fall/winter to do a purge and edit. You have inspired me to pull out a pair of Roger Vivier brown suede booties I bought 5 years ago. I haven’t worn them much but they are perfect and I need to work them back in. See…we can play with this Minimalism “thing”. Great job!

Amy Thorne RichardsonSeptember 16th, 2017  11:44 AM

• I just did this: had an old pair of Tibi knee highs and had my cobbler (with a raised eyebrow) cut them off. They look great and I feel good, it’s a win.

SueMSeptember 16th, 2017  1:20 PM

• Hi Sue, I swapped out the picture of Hedvig and love the boots with a knee-length dress, so chic!

PrestonSeptember 16th, 2017  3:23 PM

• This is your BEST post yet! I help my customers recycle, reuse, repurpose and restyle their well made items and if they need to add a few pieces I only suggest quality products. There is no need for a lot clothes gathering dust in closets. My customers say they feel “lighter” and calmer when they open their closet each morning. Minimalism and mindful shopping really can change lives! Thanks.

Betsy AmesSeptember 16th, 2017  5:58 PM

• Preston, this subject is so very timely. I think I’ve passed the age where we had to have everything! Now, sometimes, it feels like a burden to keep it all, and I’ve discovered a great beautiful wonderful re-sale shop. Some someone else gets to enjoy what I once loved and along the way I make a few $$$.
    None of us need everything we have. I look around my home and realize this every single day. Collections I thought would be for my kids? They don’t want them, life has changed so very much. My dream would be to have a few beautiful black pieces and a closet full of accessories! Great post, great comments too.

Marsha ScottSeptember 17th, 2017  2:09 PM

• This is an especially great post. I watched the Minimalists last night on your recommendation and truly loved it. Thank you!

HollyeSeptember 17th, 2017  3:36 PM

'Miss Flora'
Rose Roll-On
'Robert Rauschenberg: Among Friends'