March 30th, 2018
Vogue Paris

“L’Ère du Large”

A request for my French readers—please translate the title of this fabulous Vogue Paris story. I’ve run it through Google translator and it came up with “The Era of Large”, whatever that means… It’s great to see an editorial that celebrates classic dressing—I’m so tired of the plethora of unwearable clothes on offer these days.

Photography by Alique   Styling by Julie Pelipas

GIVENCHY

Cross3 leather cross-body bag

MIU MIU

Double-breasted wool-twill coat

CO

Oversized alpaca and wool-blend sweater

CO

Alpaca and wool-blend midi skirt

PRADA

Pascalare 70mm boot black suede

&DAUGHTER

Bansha Fair Isle wool sweater

CÉLINE

Chunky large hoops

CÉLINE

High neck sweater in double face Shetland cashmere

• “Large” means broad, wide… large. But “Le large” usually means the sea/ocean. The “du” in the title is a contraction of “de” and “le”, meaning “of the” followed by a masculine noun. Having said off of that, I’d read this as “the era of the sea”, which makes no sense because none of these clothes are particularly nautical. My French is French-Canadian, so perhaps a French-French person can help solve this mystery.

NikMarch 30th, 2018  8:27 PM

• I can’t help with translation, but Amen! to your comments! Absolutely adore every single photo! And silk scarves looking chic! How long has it been since anything like this has been available? The blush coat and everything in the last photo are perfection. Love the earrings, too! Would it be possible to get shopping details?

PaulaMarch 31st, 2018  1:27 AM

• I would translate it as ‘era of the grand’ referring to the sizing of the clothes and the grand style.

NicoleMarch 31st, 2018  1:39 AM

• Hi,
    “Large” here simply means baggy, loose 😉

alisonMarch 31st, 2018  3:49 AM

• Dear Preston,

This story in French Vogue is absolutely fab. Julie Pelipas is doing an amazing job.
    Nik is right ; “large” refers to something wide, but the expression “prendre le large”, in a naval context, also means that a ship is leaving its harbour to reach the open sea. If you go beyond the apparent naval meaning, “prendre le large” can also mean escaping, broadening your horizons.

To come back to the title of the Vogue story, “L’Ere du Large” would be a reference to the wide clothes, but would suggest at the same time freeing ourselves from any constraints, escaping – again.
    That’s how I understand it as native French speaker.

Btw, it is the first time I comment on your blog, but I have been I devoted fan for several years.
    Your blog is refreshing, honest and understated, in a quite saturated era.

Keep up the good work !

Best,

Capucine

CapucineMarch 31st, 2018  3:58 AM

• I can image it means “ Go big, in a luxurious way…” – Silk is more luxurious when it is ample… also jewellry… the earrings have a hint of the 80’s, but reinvented for 2018…. “Go large or Go plentiful… in a chic way…”

Adored the article Thank You!

CheriThreadgillMarch 31st, 2018  7:57 AM

• I agree! I love seeing wearable clothes! So many of the things in magazines these days look cartoonish and even silly for teenagers. I love this! Stylish , elegant, and I , guess the right word is Grand!!

Paula BMarch 31st, 2018  9:04 AM

• My translation would be “ Living Large”. Indeed! Loved every look!

Lindley PlessMarch 31st, 2018  10:53 AM

• Hmnnn, not quite sure I find a white belted pantsuit with oversized patch pockets “wearable”!

allsionMarch 31st, 2018  3:00 PM

• L’ere du large is a play on words. The phrase in French is normally “l’air du large”, which means the sea air in English. L’ere means time or era/ age. Several interpretations are possible!

LauraMarch 31st, 2018  9:32 PM

• Plethora is an understatement. I grind my teeth in frustration most days when it comes to magazines and trade publications because being a lover of fashion means viewing image after image that makes me mutter “emperor’s new clothes”. These images are gorgeous and inspiring without the nasty aftertaste of irony.

SueMApril 1st, 2018  2:53 PM

• I second Paula and would very much appreciate shopping details. Thank you.

KathleenApril 3rd, 2018  10:16 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated. Preachy comments about body weight, age, smoking, and furs will not be posted.