June 14th, 2018
Industry News

Three Fave Tomas Maier Collections for Bottega Veneta

News broke yesterday that the Bottega Veneta creative director of 17 years, Tomas Maier, has stepped down. Before a new designer is named (Phoebe Philo got my vote, but Kering chose Daniel Lee who worked with Philo, which could be very interesting) I thought I’d rerun three of my favorite BV collections by Mr. Maier. The SS15 collection above was a standout that season, each look lovelier than the next. To celebrate the house’s 50th anniversary, Lauren Hutton walked in the SS17 show below carrying the clutch she made famous in the all-time classic film American Gigolo. And I loved the mixed prints on the dresses in the PF16 collection bottom, a trend that is still going strong today.

Printed silk dress

Wool-blend coat

TOTÊME

Noma asymmetric wool-blend shirt

TOTEME

Noma wool-blend straight-leg pants

ROSETTA GETTY

Gathered cotton-poplin top

BOTTEGA VENETA

Cotton-blend gabardine trench coat

SACAI

Oversized paneled cable-knit wool and poplin top

RICK OWENS

One-shoulder cotton-jersey top

CELINE

Square sunglasses

ACNE STUDIOS

Wool-blend overcoat

CÉLINE

Classic medium bag

CÉLINE

Knot small hoop earrings made of brass

• The Lauren Hutton show is my favourite, though I do like the gingham dress in the top collection.

That's Not My AgeJune 14th, 2018  10:08 AM

• Love every image.

AprilJune 14th, 2018  11:00 AM

• How timeless these collections are- and that’s the beauty of Maier. I was wondering what was happening when I noticed the cabat was back in rotation in the handbag collections. I hope he’s going to take some time off- and YES please Phoebe! She would be fantastic.

MmeDirectriceJune 14th, 2018  11:24 AM

• I never comment on social media however your blog is by far, so on point with such impeccable style!
    These outfits are so amazing…
    Always look forward to your post in the am.
    Thanks for sharing!

myda y.June 14th, 2018  12:00 PM

• The gingham dress in the 2015 is so fantastic and I really love almost every image.

KathyJune 14th, 2018  12:09 PM

• Long felt Mr. Maier is a genius at his craft, in league with Mr. Lagerfeld. There was a very early fall collection which included a gorgeous little red suit – a jacket and skirt – possibly in wool boucle? . .. if you can find an image. This is all simply beautiful.

Paula SmithJune 15th, 2018  12:33 AM

• Classic, classic, classic! Mr. Maier will be sorely missed. He gave Bottega Veneta its signature image.
    Change is not always a good thing…

lkaJune 15th, 2018  9:16 AM

• I just saw that Daniel Lee will replace Mr. Maier. How are we feeling about that? I agree that the images above are just so lovely.

kimJune 15th, 2018  9:45 AM

• Having just received a promotion from BV for the ‘new’ Lauren 1980 in my Inbox this morning – although I’m a great admirer of Mr. Maier, the recent offerings of the past several months/year has, for my taste, been surprisingly cluttered, trendy, and lacking the level of sophistication he had always designed. Nothing has appealed to me for at least a year – perhaps it was pressure from the company to keep up with trends of flowers, ruffles, studs, glitter and metallic? It seemed to me to be completely out of character for both BV and Mr. Maier. Not sure who’s idea it was, but I think their past couple seasons of handbags and ready to wear have been desperately off key.

PaulaJune 19th, 2018  12:27 PM

• I still have a newspaper clipping from Vogue Collections of a dress from S/S 2015 worn on catwalk by Malgosia Bela. It was a pure perfection. It’d be interesting to see what Maier does next.
    Ana
    www.saschaandtheboys.com

AnaJune 20th, 2018  1:31 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated. Preachy comments about body weight, age, smoking, and furs will not be posted.