February 5th, 2019
On My Mind

A Brooch?

Yesterday I wrote about my mother’s jewelry that has come to me. Along with the iconic pieces, there are lots of charm bracelets, antique watches, brooches, etc.  — things I don’t normally wear. Brooches were not on my radar until last week when I posted the picture of Miuccia Prada wearing a beautiful pair. I was thinking of having some of Mother’s made into pendants, but now I’m not so sure. There’s something lovely about a brooch.

Brooches above Chanel

ALEXANDERWANG.T

Crinkled-satin midi skirt

NIKE

Tech Pack 2.0 reversible linen and cotton-blend jacket

BOTTEGA VENETA

Leather clutch

GUCCI

Cotton denim midi skirt

GUCCI

Suede collarless jacket

GABRIELA HEARST

Casatt double-breasted cotton trench coat

BURBERRY

Chignon monogram silk-satin scarf

TOM FORD

Belted leather-trimmed twill jacket

PRADA

Metallic

JACQUEMUS

Le Bracelet braided-metal bracelet

JACQUEMUS

Figari plunge knot-front top

COMMON PROJECTS

Achilles leather sneakers

• I wear my brooches often and always have. One of the things I love about brooches is that if you ask the wearer about her brooch she almost always has a wonderful tale to tell.

GigiFebruary 5th, 2019  5:17 PM

• I vote for leaving the pieces as Brooches!!!

Everyone wears pendants – but brooches, well, Brooches are unique and statement making!!!
    They hold a certain je ne sais no matter if for an occasion or every day wear.

I have several that I have picked up over the years & they are some of my favorite pieces to wear; even with a T-shirt & jeans!

Wishing you all the best in making your decision…………..

b.

b.February 5th, 2019  5:20 PM

• Hello Preston, keep them as brooches. I have a collection from my mom, aunts, older neighbors from when I was a child, museum and travel haunts and antique shops. I use them as pins on blazers, sweaters, coats, dresses and when feeling creative on shoes and attached to sneaker laces! Also in my hair and on handbags. They are as you see…very versatile. Have fun and enjoy them.

SuWuFebruary 5th, 2019  5:58 PM

• Hi Preston
    Keep the brooches, the antique ones are even more fab then the newer ones, and as Gigi said they always have a great story attached to them.
    You can always wear the brooch on a chain as a pendant…. and brooches finish any plain outfit with a great splash.
    Celeste

CelesteFebruary 5th, 2019  6:48 PM

• Joining the chorus – keep the brooches as designed. My treasured pieces are one my mother, two sisters, and I all wore on our wedding dresses, and one we always called ‘Mom’s feather pin.’ They only get better with age.

PaulaFebruary 6th, 2019  1:37 AM

• I am in the remain as brooches camp. Style icons all wear brooches!

ClaireFebruary 6th, 2019  5:03 AM

• Keep the brooches. I love wearing them and recently purchased a Rosetta Getty blouse that was open in the back. My idea was to close the back of the blouse with a Prada brooch I had on hand.

TracyFebruary 6th, 2019  7:15 AM

• I have been itching to get a brooch! Looking at that feather brooch above has helped me make up my mind to buy one! If you have a lot of brooches, you can get some adjusted so that they can be worn as a pendant and a brooch.

MMSFebruary 6th, 2019  7:22 AM

• Hi Preston! I love the idea of keeping them as brooches. The history of your Mom passing them to you is a lovely one to share. I mix mine with denim- a short sleeve cashmere t, 2 brooches, jeans, and some cool sneakers! It makes them more accessible. Or with a nice high-waisted jean, sexy heels and a pair of gloves. I love wearing two of them, as Ms. Prada does in the photo. I noticed the brooches before the shoes! Great post as always.

S

SeverineFebruary 6th, 2019  7:32 AM

• You can keep them as brooches and buy or have made a connector that allows you to wear them either way. Mine are removable and attach onto the pin. That way you leave them as designed and as you acquired them but you can wear them either way. Your jeweler should be able to design a bespoke attachment for you if you do not like any of those available online. Best of both worlds! Allows you to wear them with outfits where brooch might not fit.

SharonFebruary 6th, 2019  10:21 AM

• I’ll broach the subject and suggest you keep them as brooches.

TaunulaFebruary 6th, 2019  12:19 PM

• As the overwhelming majority indicates, brooches are wonderful! I think we compartmentalize things into modern vs what our mothers/grandmothers wore. Beautifully done, brooches can be the opposite of staid or matronly. Why only have a `piece hang on a chain around your neck? When did we decide that a lapel or sweater or bag was a questionable space for expression? Isn’t it more expressive and chic to give that piece life? So much sexier to let it wind , flutter or slither it’s way across the very thing it’s meant to adorn? Miuccia Prada gets it exactly right because her pieces have life and movement and whimsy. I so respect your personal style, and truly hope you leave your pieces exactly as they are. The only thing wanting is the context of your life to give them currency.

ColleenFebruary 6th, 2019  8:43 PM

• Love all of these comments, thank you for weighing in. I will absolutely leave them as brooches.

PrestonFebruary 7th, 2019  6:55 AM

• Hi Preston…I just HAD to weigh in on this fun discussion! First, thank you so much for posting about your brooches–I’m a jewelry designer with Eleanor Stone NYC and brooches are EVERYTHING to us!!! We search the market for beautiful antique and vintage brooches–Victorian, Edwardian, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Retro, and Modernist–and reimagine them into cool, modern Italian leather cuffs that wraparound your wrist. Each one is handmade, unique, and the perfect combination of old world elegance and modern chic. Every cuff makes a statement and tells a story—whether you’re wearing jeans and a tee, or a little black dress.

Here’s where YOUR brooches come in…We recently started a Bespoke Line where we take customers’ beautiful heirlooms and reimagine them as modern cuffs. It’s such an easy and cool way to wear a special piece of heritage all the time and carry its love and sentiment with you…always!

NancyFebruary 7th, 2019  9:07 AM

• I love them grouped together…

That's Not My AgeFebruary 11th, 2019  12:10 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated. Preachy comments about body weight, age, smoking, and furs will not be posted.