January 29th, 2020
On My Mind

Get Moving

This November Vogue Paris story has been on my inspiration board, just not for the clothes. A number of you have twigged that we are moving our primary residence. Like a pebble tossed into a pond and the resulting ripples, a visit to Ina Garten’s garden set the wheels of change in motion.

On a cold and rainy day last October, I visited Ina’s East Hampton home with friends. Despite the weather, our gracious host gave us a tour of her potager, flower beds, and groomed pathways — all are lovely. However, Ina’s crabapple orchard stopped me in my tracks. Little did I know that the beautifully pruned trees rising from a carpet of tall grasses would alter the course of our lives.

After tomorrow, we will have the acres, barn, and river to create a sylvan retreat. As much as I will miss living on the water, I am more excited for a chance to bring about our dream garden.

Photography by Lachlan Bailey  Styling by Anastasia Barbieri

MAX MARA

Burano belted wool-blend cardigan

GABRIELA HEARST

Jane checked cotton shirt dress

ISABEL MARANT, ÉTOILE

Napoli cotton and wool cardigan

JIL SANDER

Tie-front merino wool sweater

FRANKIE SHOP

Erica cotton midi dress

PROENZA SCHOULER

Trench cotton midi skirt

Cabochon buttons peacoat

• Congratulations – it’s going to be amazing and I’m so happy for you. Can’t wait to see some photos and crabapple trees are the bomb!

KathyJanuary 29th, 2020  10:52 AM

• How lovely! Much luck with your move to paradise. On a separate note, you often speak of your inspiration board. I would love to create one for myself and am hoping in a future post you might elaborate on yours a bit.

KimberlyJanuary 29th, 2020  11:06 AM

• Country life is tranquil, civilized, and a bit like a cleansing experience. Our once best cities have spiraled downward economically and culturally, and there doesn’t seem to be enough demand to turn that around. I’ve never lived near water, but I know I would far prefer acres of land. So happy for you, Miss Preston!

PaulaJanuary 29th, 2020  1:15 PM

• How exciting! Will you be documenting progress on Palais?

disneyrollergirlJanuary 29th, 2020  2:22 PM

• Now there’s a thought

PrestonJanuary 29th, 2020  3:03 PM

• My husband grew up on a fruit orchard in South Glastonbury, CT. His brother runs it now. My son, after graduating from college, decided to work on the family orchard. He now lives in Vermont and works on an orchard in New Hampshire. I have seen first hand how this lifestyle gets under ones skin, and becomes part of ones identity. Have fun!

AprilJanuary 29th, 2020  3:07 PM

• Paula, your comments are so beautifully formed! I just smiled reading the one above…
    My family and I bought a farm last year. A huge barn, a house and one more building, two wonderful natural ponds (with really plenty of frogs), hills surrounded by forest and silence, deers coming to the windows…I am so happy for you and your family, can’t wait to see first photos on KIC, looking for inspiration.

IsabelJanuary 29th, 2020  3:15 PM

• OMG Crabapple trees are so beautiful…especially when they are blooming in Spring. Such lovely delicate flowers! Enjoy your new adventure! Love, Pamela Taft

Pamela TaftJanuary 29th, 2020  3:25 PM

• Congratulations! For as much as I love my hometown of Chicago, I have loved raising my 4 grown children closer to the Wiscosin border…horse barns, artisanal produce and fruit farms with orchards galore. Heavy competition for fall corn mazes in the land of large lakes makes for healthy living…with portion control. Day trips and weekends in the Urban Jungle restore that urge for buzzing around town.

jean l lillyJanuary 29th, 2020  6:30 PM

• How exciting, congratulations Preston on realizing a dream. ❤️ I agree with Navaz, would love to see photos and thoughts on Palais.

SueMJanuary 30th, 2020  9:05 AM

• how exciting! what may i ask is a sylvan retreat? i guess i should look it up. everything is on the worldwide web!

Marcy CarmackJanuary 30th, 2020  10:53 PM

• Hudson Valley or CT?

JoannawnycFebruary 4th, 2020  10:48 AM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.