February 19th, 2020
Harper's Bazaar

‘Jeans for Now’

These March Harper’s Bazaar images spotlight the two most significant jeans styles for SS20. Boot-cut from Celine and Bermuda shorts by Saint Laurent — both are as chic as it gets.

Photography by Camilla Akrans   Styling by Patrick Mackie

TOTÊME

Capri cotton-poplin shirt

ISABEL MARANT

Lennyo leather slides

Duffel Coat in wool

Suzanne medium hobo bag in smooth leather

JIL SANDER

Nia gathered-neck belted midi dress

GUCCI

Cotton and wool tweed midi dress

RAG and BONE

Parker leather sandals

JW ANDERSON

Merino wool sweater

NILI LOTAN

Jenna cropped cotton-blend slim-leg trousers

MARNI

Crossover leather wedge sandals

JIL SANDER

Twill midi dress

SUICOKE

Cel-V two-strap neoprene sandals

• The jeans do look chic on the model. I’m 60 and have lived through many jean trends. Boot cut jeans and flares required the most work to style. My hems were always torn or caught on something. Finding the right shoes was difficult as well. I won’t go as far to say I won’t ever wear them again but it won’t be soon.

RobynFebruary 19th, 2020  5:40 AM

• Just ordered mid-rise dark rinse APC jeans from KIC shop. I am hopeful….

CarolFebruary 19th, 2020  6:51 AM

• I’m curious about reader opinions on the Bermuda shorts. Personally the slim knee length shorts look is off-putting to me. It just looks so uncomfortable. Or maybe I’m just envisioning my middle-aged knees in them. Either way I will pass on that trend!

ErinFebruary 19th, 2020  8:01 AM

• I love the Celine jeans photographed here, but the price is sadly outside my budget. I’m wondering if others have had experience with the Slvrlake (London fit) and if they think they are similar to these ones in terms of fit and style?

marnieFebruary 19th, 2020  8:49 AM

• I too am in my 60s & also petite, and like Robyn have lived through many reincarnations.
    I have mastered the skinny jean with ballet flats, loafers and Hermes sandals …will never give them up. And they looks the best with a turtleneck and trench!

SusanFebruary 19th, 2020  9:31 AM

• As a petite woman, I agree 100% with Susan. I would also add in a cropped flare in addition to the skinnies. I have passed on the straight leg and will likely to the same on the flares.

gail cFebruary 19th, 2020  10:06 AM

• Hello fellow 60’s sisters. I actually purchased a pair of slim boot cut jeans about a month ago on a whim and so far have worn with suede booties and sneakers. I am not entirely confident that I am styling them well, but have had compliments from my family which is highly unusual. 🙂 Perhaps because its a style I wore in the 80’s that it just feels … familiar and comfortable. Would love to see more images of this style of jean and footwear that works.

Kelli DoyleFebruary 19th, 2020  11:11 AM

• I think the longer bootcut and wide leg will be more firmly mainstream by 2025 when gen z, who love the 90s, are older and have sway over trends. And jean/pant trends usually go through major shifts every 10-15 years. I think the most sophisticated version of this trend is sleek and tailored, longer with part of the heel and toe showing (you need a shoe with a slightly longer toe to do this, a pointy toe is best, IMO). Bootcut slim to the knee and then only a slight flare; wide leg slightly looser at the top of the thigh and getting wider all the way down but not too dramatically wide. High waist at first. I’m only speculating and I’m sure there will be a 2020s twist on all of this which will be interesting. The slim bermuda shorts look best on someone who is tall or has slender legs. They are a challenging look but chic if you can do it well.

Sara G.February 19th, 2020  2:56 PM

• Have you considered L”Agence jeans which seem to be popping up in boutiques I frequent. Higher rise than AG( my usual go to) with same sizing. I am slim, have long legs and bought a boot cut in dark denim, unstressed ; they don’t wrinkle or bag after many wearings. I also bought a straight leg crop in black for warmer months. Each style has a girl’s name so go to website to see photos. Very comfortable for a change and my belts look better on this style.

Linda HackettFebruary 19th, 2020  4:48 PM

• Late 50s, petite and chic here….reporting in… 🙂
    I agree with the ladies above. Skinny is where I will stay…I’ve never found a boot cut or flare or straight that I have loved, or loved me.
    Perfect is-skinny but not legging but has a vague hint of straight….is that straight skinny?
    With blazers and cute Hermes flats and Chanel ballet flats…and a little distress to remove the twee!!!
    Thank you!

JoFebruary 19th, 2020  5:44 PM

• I own so many skinny jeans and I want to give them all away, haha. It seems like they are out now!! I haven’t been able to find a bootcut jean that fits me well yet.

Elisse ParkFebruary 19th, 2020  6:09 PM

• Jo, I could’ve written your comment, right down to the “twee”…

PrestonFebruary 19th, 2020  6:45 PM

• I am 42, and at 5’6 with an athletic build, skinnies tend to make me look like an ice cream cone. I welcome the bootcut and some flare (if the break of the flare is in the right spot on my leg- hard to find!) but I completely agree it is so much work. One pair hemmed to wear with flats , one pair for heel. And then perhaps in different washes.

To my eye, what makes this take fresh ( as opposed to the early 2000s version) is the higher rise.

GraceFebruary 20th, 2020  12:24 AM

• For now, I wear when I can find them a slim not skinny jean with a 9” rise. Because I’m 5’4 and short waisted this seems to be my sweet spot.

RobynFebruary 20th, 2020  5:41 AM

• I have an old pair of J Brand love story flare jeans and am 5 feet tall. In order to pull off this look, you need a very high shoe such as a platform or wedge. I’ve worn them and they are incredibly chic. The shorts are a no for me. I like a shorter cut off like the Current Elliot boyfriend short.

TracyFebruary 20th, 2020  7:37 AM

• As I am 161 cms, I prefer straight leg jeans most days, but slight flares can be fun when I can make the effort (need heels). The shorts remind me of college days…wasn’t a great look back in the early 90s either!

MMSFebruary 20th, 2020  8:33 AM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated. Preachy comments about body weight, age, smoking, and furs will not be posted.