February 22nd, 2020
On My Mind

#MatchyMatchy

Years ago, my editor in chief cautioned me about hiring an assistant who she felt was too “matchy-matchy.”  I was reminded of this because #matchymatchy is currently my fav catchphrase. I posted the brown Gucci bag and Celine slide weeks ago with this hashtag, and the beige Saint Laurent boots and old Céline hobo are pretty good together, too. Not perfectly matched, but close enough.

MAX MARA

Rosa wool-blend midi dress

DRIES VAN NOTEN

Floral stretch-lace tights

JIL SANDER

Slanted-cuff leather knee-high boots

Wool-twill coat

HM

Textured-knit tights

Oversized hooded cable-knit wool and mohair-blend cardigan

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER

Cavalier wool blazer

SABLYN

Aiden sleeveless cashmere top

GABRIELA HEARST

Hawes T-bar cutout leather pumps

JIL SANDER

Oversized cashmere knit top

GANNI

Wool-blend turtleneck vest

VICTORIA BECKHAM

Piped knee-high leather boots

• Matchy-matchy or monochrome?

SLFFebruary 23rd, 2020  10:14 AM

• I love a good matchy matchy moment.
    It reminds me of the care and intent that women dressed with years ago. Now it can be just one of the many statements that we make with fashion.

MelissaFebruary 23rd, 2020  10:19 AM

• Curious which EIC made that comment, lol. Love me a matchy matchy moment.

KarinaFebruary 23rd, 2020  11:16 AM

• Monochrome is a good word for the Prada look I posted a few days ago. Matching a bag and shoes goes in the matchy-matchy column in my book.

PrestonFebruary 23rd, 2020  11:24 AM

• You could easily wear either purse with either shoe! Matchy-matchy sometimes but not always!

Paula BFebruary 23rd, 2020  11:25 AM

• Sometimes matchy-matchy feels like the right way to go!

LizFebruary 23rd, 2020  1:58 PM

• .Sometimes when I see people trying their hardest to avoid being matchy matchy it also comes off as being try hard and not particularly insouciant . Matchy matchy seems less forced by contrast!

TropicalistFebruary 23rd, 2020  3:33 PM

• I remember Matchy-matchy or what I called 1-2-1-2 in the late eighties. It was not just about matching shoes and bag, but also incorporated the entire picture with the clothes too. (Same blue colored top and pants with same colored red belt and red shoes). These items were purchased together and seemed to lack any individuality or decision making.

KimFebruary 23rd, 2020  3:49 PM

• You could also switch them. I love how the brown Gucci bag relates to the brown heel on the beige boot and how the neutral stitching on the sandals picks up the color of the Celine bag.

HaFebruary 23rd, 2020  4:01 PM

• I love monochrome and this is coming from the girl who usually only buys black shoes and bags.

TracyFebruary 23rd, 2020  9:12 PM

• Matchy-matchy or tonal- my favourite type of accessorising and dressing.

MMSFebruary 24th, 2020  3:29 AM

• Matching shoes, bag or belt is simple, elegant and cohesive.

RobynFebruary 24th, 2020  5:42 AM

• I love matching or tonal shoes and bags. I just realized reading this post, that the reason I haven’t worn my beige suede combat boots yet this winter, is that I don’t have a bag that looks good with them. Cognac is too warm. Hmmm…..Beautiful combos and can’t wait to see how you wear your boots.

KathyFebruary 24th, 2020  5:43 AM

• Oh, and it reminds me of how my mom and grandmother dressed,. They were two of the most simply elegant dressers I’ve known. My grandmother made all of her own clothes. To this day people still comment on how simple and elegant they always looked.

RobynFebruary 24th, 2020  5:46 AM

• I have patiently been waiting for SS20 saint Laurent to hit stores! I’m picking the boots up when I return from a work trip later this week. Can’t wait!

JulieFebruary 26th, 2020  1:43 PM

• Now that I have silver hair, I were lots of black, grey and white. But, when I was younger – with brown hair – I wore outfits of varying shades of camel, beige and cream with tan shoes and bags. I called it “tone-on-tone” and I loved it!

BarbaraFebruary 29th, 2020  11:28 AM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.