March 17th, 2020
Books

Well Said

Lisa Scully, owner of the Locust Valley Bookstore, sent out this germane Mason Cooley quote.  When I log off and tune out the news, I’ve been reading. Movies are great, but by evening I need a screen break. My book club is meeting via Zoom next month and I’m determined to finish Jeanine Cummins’ American Dirt. Ironically, we read A Gentleman in Moscow last month and the author, Amor Towles, came to our meeting.

Book recommendations are always welcome.

MAX MARA

Rosa wool-blend midi dress

DRIES VAN NOTEN

Floral stretch-lace tights

JIL SANDER

Slanted-cuff leather knee-high boots

Wool-twill coat

HM

Textured-knit tights

Oversized hooded cable-knit wool and mohair-blend cardigan

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER

Cavalier wool blazer

SABLYN

Aiden sleeveless cashmere top

GABRIELA HEARST

Hawes T-bar cutout leather pumps

JIL SANDER

Oversized cashmere knit top

GANNI

Wool-blend turtleneck vest

VICTORIA BECKHAM

Piped knee-high leather boots

• Preston, couldn’t agree more. My youngest and her husband and dog are living with us because they started a kitchen renovation right after the wedding and her pregnancy meant she couldn’t be around the demolition. Now it’s the virus keeping her isolated. I feel extremely fortunate that our house is large enough to accommodate them but if we were all only watching screens it would be a very different feeling. She’s making the best of it going through my library (some eye rolling lol) although we’re watching some childhood favourites as well.
    Take care ❤️

SueMMarch 17th, 2020  1:45 PM

• I am loving Iliana Regan’s memoir, Burn the Place, all about growing up on a farm, sisterhood, gender dysphoria, addiction, cooking, running a restaurant and recovery. Funny, absorbing, beautifully written and a great distraction.

Laura Zinn FrommMarch 18th, 2020  2:21 PM

• Wonderful quote… and to those self isolating, you’re never alone when you have a great book!

SueTMarch 18th, 2020  2:27 PM

• My book club me via Zoom last night and it was great. We’re all shut-in and it was great to ‘see’ everyone, catch-up and discuss the book. We liked it so much we’re going to do Zoom catch-ups, with or without book discussions, every two weeks. Take care.

Noelle BrowerMarch 18th, 2020  2:28 PM

• Dear Preston,

A longtime follower of yours, I am very grateful to you for all of your wonderful ideas. I am currently writing a book about Claude Debussy’s little daughter, Chouchou, and I have put together a playlist of music for people staying at home. I’d love to send it to you, but I do not see how to attach it. Is there a way?

At all events, thank you for everything.

FAITH HOPE LOVE

Carole GeorgeMarch 18th, 2020  2:35 PM

• No specific recommendation, but this is a good opportunity to go for a hefty classic you’ve always meant to read, but could never commit to. I’ve been reading Thomas Mann’s Magic Mountain, as it suits these strange, pensive times. It’s very sad, so I balance it out with lighter material when it comes to movies.

IoMarch 18th, 2020  3:51 PM

• Losing yourself in a great book is the best distraction and the quote is so apropos to this moment! Lo soared me back in time when I was forever changed by reading Thomas Mann’s “Magic Mountain”.

AliMarch 18th, 2020  11:47 PM

• Elisabeth Strout – anything by her is a gift to the reader. I just finished ”Amy and Isabelle”, and cherished every page even though, at times, it was breaking my heart.

Riikka IhamuotilaMarch 19th, 2020  3:11 AM

• The Shining. Both King’s and Kubrick’s.

M. Kirk OkayMarch 19th, 2020  3:31 AM

• The Splendid and the Vile, Churchill during the Blitz.

Patricia E. WilsonMarch 19th, 2020  6:51 AM

• I recently loved The Sound of Gravel and I’ll Be Gone In The Dark

BetsyMarch 19th, 2020  7:21 AM

• Lovely quote. 3 books I enjoyed. 1.The Dutch House 2.Feast your eyes 3. The Water Dancer Always looking for suggestions.

JeanneMarch 19th, 2020  4:48 PM

• THE BODY IN QUESTION by Jill Ciment, published by Knopf, is an affecting, page-turning read and great for book clubs. So is Lily King’s new novel, FRIENDS AND LOVERS. Happy reading!

NoraMarch 19th, 2020  8:52 PM

• I love this quote and immediately sent it to my mom. We have both been using books to help pass the time and escape the non-stop news coverage.
    I’ve been trying to get through The Cartiers. It is extremely interesting but also a long read that I need a break from time to time.
    I just started Wild Game based on Locust Valley Bookstore’s recommendation. Thank you so much for introducing me to her account. It is one of my life goals to own a bookstore, and I look up to her greatly!
    Nora – I also loved The Body in Question. What a great, quick read.

MichelleMarch 20th, 2020  9:08 AM

• One more – I’m hoping to finally read Emma by Jane Austen before seeing the movie. A little late on that one 🙂

MichelleMarch 20th, 2020  9:33 AM

• One of my favorites.

PrestonMarch 20th, 2020  9:35 AM

• I love Amor Towles books and we read A Gentleman in Moscow for our bookclub in Sydney. You are so lucky to have him at your book club. Is is writing his next novel ? can you share any information !!!

AntMarch 20th, 2020  7:33 PM

• I loved A Gentleman in Moscow, along with Lily King’s Euphoria it is the book I recommend the most. I recently read Rules of Civility. I really liked it too.

RobynMarch 22nd, 2020  6:24 AM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.