June 26th, 2020
On My Mind

The Upside of Mercury Retrograde

For many fashion industry folks, Mercury Retrograde is a real thing. I know that every show I cast during a retrograde phase was a bit wonky — models missed flights, clothes got lost, reviews were mediocre, etc. During this period I try to avoid signing contracts and leave plenty of time when traveling, two of Mercury’s perceived drawbacks. However, there is an upside, too — long-lost items turn up, old friends reconnect, and things come circling back around.

For example- it’s almost impossible to find Petit Bateau short-sleeved T-shirts in black. The woman at the boutique in Paris had never even seen one. My meagre few must be 20 years old and I cherish them. On Monday, I stumbled across a seller who had 8 of them — in my size and brand new — whoop whoop! This brings me to the Hermès Trim bag. In a comment on the previous post, a reader mentioned that Hermès reissued their iconic hobo. A number of years ago I gave my Trim to a friend — it was too small for my everyday stuff. But, now that it’s circled back around, maybe a large one would be just right.

TOTÊME

Capri cotton-poplin shirt

ISABEL MARANT

Lennyo leather slides

Duffel Coat in wool

Suzanne medium hobo bag in smooth leather

JIL SANDER

Nia gathered-neck belted midi dress

GUCCI

Cotton and wool tweed midi dress

RAG and BONE

Parker leather sandals

JW ANDERSON

Merino wool sweater

NILI LOTAN

Jenna cropped cotton-blend slim-leg trousers

MARNI

Crossover leather wedge sandals

JIL SANDER

Twill midi dress

SUICOKE

Cel-V two-strap neoprene sandals

• Hmmm – what about Gucci Jackie bag?

LisaJune 26th, 2020  12:05 PM

• This looks like the Jackie hobo from Gucci. Every time they reissue this bag, I always get it. The style, fit, and look is on point. I love that you give away your things, just the thought of sharing your fave items with others and to make room for new ones. So great!

mydaJune 26th, 2020  12:34 PM

• I feel validated! Thank god it’s not me. Quick Q… how do you get around signing contracts during mercury retro? I just would feel a bit ridiculous giving the real reason why…!

disneyrollergirlJune 26th, 2020  12:34 PM

• Hello, What size did you have (that was too small)?

MMSJune 26th, 2020  2:02 PM

• It wasn’t the size so much as the zip top scraped my hand.

PrestonJune 26th, 2020  4:29 PM

• I’ve always loved this bag. However, it would be cool if the strap was longer and adjustable for a crossbody option. I also remember when you mentioned mercury in retrograde to me when you went to close on your new home. I told you it would work out and it did. That’s good karma and mercury can’t hold a candle to that my friend.

TracyJune 26th, 2020  6:01 PM

• What’s the trick in actually getting one,my Beverly Hills store tortures me.

LeslieJune 26th, 2020  8:50 PM

• I saw that comment and thought it’s never a bad idea to do a good thing. You’ll make the right choice again. ❤️

SueMJune 26th, 2020  9:14 PM

• Such an underrated Hermes bag. You don’t see it on everyone and it’s always chic, always goes with tons of different looks.

C.MicholJune 29th, 2020  12:23 PM

• Thank goodness I read this! I was about to relegate my 20-year-old black Petite Bateau short-sleeve to the recycling pile and go hunting for a new one. I didn’t realize they are virtually extinct?! It’s the perfect shirt. I have no clue why they aren’t part of the lineup. Perhaps because they last 20 years… I’ll try to get one more summer out of mine (and to find your mystery seller).

TanyaJune 30th, 2020  11:10 AM

• Thanks for the reminder. I have an enormous one (a 38) from years past . Time to pull it out!

Stacey BewkesJuly 7th, 2020  8:50 AM

• Such a chic bag. I’ve always loved this one.

Julie AnnJuly 8th, 2020  2:27 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated. Preachy comments about body weight, age, smoking, and furs will not be posted.