October 29th, 2020
November Harper's Bazaar

‘The New Classics’

Samira Nasr, the new editor in chief of Harper’s Bazaar, is a brilliant stylist and I’m happy to see that she will continue to do fashion sittings. I’d dropped Harper’s Bazaar from my resume but, with Samira at the helm, I’m once again proud to have worked at the magazine.

Photography by Jody Rogac

SACAI

Cotton-blend minidress

RAEY

Longline virgin-wool tunic

• Wow!

DisneyrollergirlOctober 29th, 2020  6:21 AM

• Great post and love the editorial Preston.

There is a time and a season for most things. I’m glad Harpers Bazaar is coming into theirs.

Do you have a place like a Facebook group where I can get an alert if someone responds to a comment or question ? I think I did that here but forgot to look later.

marcycarmack@icloud.com

Thanks, Marcy

MarcyOctober 29th, 2020  9:12 AM

• Love the suede shoes in the first picture but I can’t remember what they are called. Love all of it actually.

JessicaOctober 29th, 2020  9:32 AM

• Looks like a classy woman. I wish her the best as editor of Harper’s Bazaar.

Having said that, I must also say that I deliberately ended my subscription to the magazine this month.
    It was my last hold out from all of the fashion magazines I had subscribed to for decades and enjoyed for what they were: fashion magazines.

Now, I am thoroughly disgusted and annoyed with the political/social wokeness they all feel compelled to preach. Decidedly lopsided in their point of view and irrelevant to the basic premise for which these magazines exist. So, I am doing my part for the environment: Save your paper, I am not interested.

lkaOctober 29th, 2020  10:02 AM

• Wallabees by Clarks Originals

PrestonOctober 29th, 2020  10:03 AM

• I agree with you completely, Ika!

LeeOctober 29th, 2020  10:37 AM

• Ilka just expressed my thoughts exactly!!!

Susan Van CleveOctober 29th, 2020  11:37 AM

• I vote with Ika and Lee!

Lynn HamiltonOctober 29th, 2020  11:55 AM

• Breath of fresh air… I can finally subscribe again

SwanOctober 29th, 2020  1:41 PM

• to Ika and all the women that agree with her, are you honestly saying that a magazine’s efforts to show more diversity and racial inclusivity has turned you off? Have you ever considered what it feels like to be a person that loves fashion and never once see yourself reflected in fashion editorials. What’s happening right now in fashion is beautiful and long overdue! I am joyful and my friends and family have been purchasing fashion magazines more than ever!!

BMAOctober 29th, 2020  1:42 PM

• I read fashion magazines throughout the ‘80’s, ‘90’s and early 2000 when fashion was fun! Beauty was celebrated. When things changed and actresses appeared on every cover and only women in power from one political party were featured, it wasn’t fun anymore. I totally agree with Ika. I hope Preston keeps her blog interesting and fun, please!

LisaOctober 29th, 2020  2:32 PM

• As a person interested in political debates and an active seeker of these in daily life, I nevertheless agree that there is time and place for everything. I most definitely do not read fashion magazines for their take on the political discourse, controversies, and heated debates on either end of the spectrum. Rather, these publications are a welcome distraction from the more charged publications which are, most certainly, far from the cultural and fashion world. One does not visit the Louvre to take part in a protest no matter how worthy it might be.

IrinaOctober 29th, 2020  8:15 PM

• I devoured the issue. Everything about it is so stylish and thoughtful. And how amazing is it that Ms Nasr not only edited the issue, but also styled one of the best stories! I can see her as entering the same league as Emmanuelle Alt and can’t wait to make Harpers a regular subscription like Paris Vogue. As for the representation and diversity throughout it: this did not not come across as “wokeness” to me. Seeing and reading about people of different colours, abilities, sexualities … Isn’t that just more representative of what our society truly looks like?

ElOctober 29th, 2020  8:20 PM

• Agree with Ika, cancelled all my subscriptions to Fashion mags as they only feature folks from one political party………

AnneOctober 29th, 2020  9:27 PM

• Yeesh, these comments. There’s nothing wrong with magazines embrace diversity and new ideas of beauty. That, too, is keeping up with the times.

C.MicholOctober 29th, 2020  11:34 PM

• I need to take out a subscription…

That's Not My AgeOctober 30th, 2020  5:28 AM

• I am looking forward to getting a copy of November issue. There was a good article on Samira Nasr in FT last weekend, but she first came on my radar because of a KIC post in June.

CBOctober 30th, 2020  5:30 AM

• I am closing the comments on this post.

My dig in the post refers solely to the leadership at HB during my brief tenure there, it is in no way a political or racial statement. I am sorry if it read that way.

Preston DavisOctober 30th, 2020  5:41 AM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.