December 26th, 2020
On My Mind

Take Me Away

Despite a Christmas Eve windstorm that took out our power and put a tree in the pool, and a trip to the emergency vet for the dog, Christmas was really nice. We have a generator for the essentials, needed a new pool cover anyway, and the dog is as good as new.

When I was a child, we’d open presents, have a big breakfast, then get on a plane to someplace with a beach or a ski slope. Travel, even the planning of a trip, is sorely missing from my life. I even miss all the annoying Instagram pictures of folks on holiday. My daughter’s boyfriend gave her a map with push-pins so they can mark all the places they’d like to go. I love this idea and may copy it.

1720 map of the world at 1st Dibs

GIA x PERNILLE TEISBAEK

Tubular Leather Knee Boots

ALTUZARRA

Haines Ribbed-Knit Cardigan

DIEMME

Monfumo Leather Hiking Boots

• The week between Christmas and New Years we start our family summit. The boys are now included. We “map”out our goals and travel plans. Hoping and wishing all of us can make these plans come true in 2021. Happy and safe travels!

Amy Thorne RichardsonDecember 26th, 2020  10:22 AM

• Oh…and I think you should totally copy the map idea

Amy Thorne RichardsonDecember 26th, 2020  10:23 AM

• Oh boy! I’m glad everything worked out. My feed is full of people who didn’t heed the CDC warnings and are traveling across the country and around the world and not all by private plane. I’m constantly shaking my head.

Habitually ChicDecember 26th, 2020  12:24 PM

• I had firsthand experience with travel in late October. It absolutely can be done safely. We flew commercial (like most people) on what were the cleanest planes imaginable and with the best flight crews we’ve ever experienced. Be prepared for very limited services in terminals, but they are super clean and sparsely populated. We traveled with good couple friends, rented our vehicle, played golf in two states, stayed on site at one course and at a small inn near the other. We ate in small restaurants both indoors and out, wore masks, washed hands, carried hand sanitizer, and watched our distance. Even at a museum tour, people respected one another’s space and followed the rules. Choose a destination where being outdoors and away from crowds is possible. I will be traveling again in January, and again in March (with my daughter) and can’t wait. We gave National Parks Passes and Yeti coolers to the kids for Christmas, and they are ready to roll as well. Life is for living (wisely) xoxo

PaulaDecember 27th, 2020  2:22 AM

• Paula – all but 5 Governors have issued a “stay at home” order, and the White House has too. It’s to prevent the spread of Covid-19 which in Los Angeles, is killing one person every ten minutes. Encouraging people to travel for pleasure right now is just plain wrong and disgraceful. Yes, life is for the living, but let’s keep ourselves and others alive.

KathyDecember 27th, 2020  8:16 AM

• Kathy…I agree 100%. Nothing has gotten me to the point of anger like those who can’t be without seeing family or friends for the greater purpose of the common good. I have been telling people to stop behaving like spoiled children and to grow up! The privileges of being together…and yes, traveling with friends to play golf…will be safe again, if we ALL follow guidelines and STAY HOME!

SharonDecember 27th, 2020  8:46 AM

• Went to the beach in Florida in Oct. It was lovely. Most people (including me) wore masks inside buildings – I rented a home and bought groceries which made me feel safer.

I was careful, left healthY, returned healthy. Its doable.

LilyBDecember 27th, 2020  10:59 AM

• I am also constantly shaking my head at people who promote traveling during this time. 300,000 Americans have died and another 190,000 deaths are projected in the next two months. Hospitals are at capacity and they cannot find staff to manage the surges but I’m sure that golf game was worth it. It’s as distasteful as hanging a Christmas ornament on your tree that says Our First Pandemic.

KaraDecember 27th, 2020  12:36 PM

• The folks I know who have travelled to see loved ones or for their mental and physical health, have already HAD Covid and recovered from it. They know the protocol, have used respectful and intelligent exercises in hygiene… please stop condemning everyone from your soapbox. Why aren’t more promoting proactive health? Suggesting natural ways to boost health and mental wellness. Isolation is killing and destroying so many gentle folk as well. Balance. I am thankful for writers like KIC that still have courage to write, in this insane cancel culture. Thank you for being inspiring for us hermits.

Jean LDecember 27th, 2020  2:24 PM

• In the spirit of this post, I am simply dreaming of where to travel first (once all are safe and vaccinated). My husband and I have found it to be one of the most pleasurable things to do right now and we love it! Deep discussion, referring to Tablet articles and their random city searches is so much fun. I read somewhere, maybe CN Traveller that the anticipation of travel is just as enjoyable as the travel.

SueMDecember 27th, 2020  3:47 PM

• It’s just one reader’s opinion here, but wouldn’t it be lovely to keep and treasure this wonderful blog for what it is – review of fashion, an occasional book, or food? Nearly every venue (virtual and orheewise

IrinaDecember 27th, 2020  4:14 PM

• Virtual and otherwise) is a battlefield these days with strong opinions that are flying like bullets. It’s nice to enjoy an occasional reprieve and to turn to beauty for inspiration, letting the world go by.

IrinaDecember 27th, 2020  4:15 PM

• I closed the comments on this post.

PrestonDecember 27th, 2020  5:38 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.