January 7th, 2021
On My Mind

Solace in Beauty

Yesterday was ugly and shameful. As an American, I am mortified, heartbroken, and taking solace in beauty.

Paul Ferney wallpaper

Bianca leather sandals

Floral lace tights

GUCCI

Wool coat with Logo buttons

GRENSON

Nanette shearling-trimmed leather ankle boots

GUCCI

Wool coat with logo buttons

GUCCI

Mid-heel pump with horsebit

PRADA

Belted jacket coat

SOREL

Lennox Hiker

TOTEME

New Standard skinny jeans

PRADA

Heavy cotton poplin trench coat

PRADA

Sleeveless organza dress

PRADA

Belted raincoat

• What a year it has been. Thank you for continuing to share beauty. And to inspire me about ways to dress and live that share elegance and joy even in dark times.

KIC fanJanuary 7th, 2021  8:53 AM

• Yesterday still feels surreal to me. Mortified, heartbroken and angry.
    Beautiful wallpaper.

KathyJanuary 7th, 2021  10:43 AM

• Perfectly stated. I appreciate this beautiful distraction.

MichelleJanuary 7th, 2021  11:25 AM

• Finding solace is a daily requirement any more. Please know Preston that your posts, thoughts, recommendations and tweaks () are one of the ways I find that so thank you. Also started daily scheduled walks with my sister in Michigan which are wonderful. If we’re still able to talk by the end we haven’t walked far enough, although to be fair both of us could chat through a gale.

SueMJanuary 7th, 2021  11:42 AM

• After rummaging around the New York Times website, yours was the first site I checked, hoping for a beautiful distraction. Thank you for providing one.

Laura Zinn FrommJanuary 7th, 2021  12:27 PM

• This type of thing has been going on for 6 months now. I’m ready for all good people to stand up to it all.

LilyBJanuary 7th, 2021  2:02 PM

• The entire last 6 months have been ugly and shameful. 700 buildings have been destroyed and burnt down, including federal buildings. 30-40 people have been killed in riots, including children, sometimes directly by rioters. Hundreds of small businesses have been looted, destroyed, and closed their doors forever, not including all the shut down businesses due to Covid. Public works of art were torn down by mobs. In just a few months, entire neighborhoods and communities have been ruined, not to recover again for decades, if places like downtown Detroit are anything to go by. Violence begets more violence.

IoJanuary 7th, 2021  2:44 PM

• Looking on from Ireland, I found this both shocking & sad. However I don’t feel it is representative of the American people at all. Unfortunately some people’s ideals have been hijacked for ulterior motives. It is commendable of you to acknowledge what is happening in real life.
    Your blog is a place of calm & beauty in the midst of all this.

CatherineJanuary 7th, 2021  3:59 PM

• Preston, your posts are refreshing and inspiring. Especially appreciated during the last months of anxiety and sadness for so many. I am an RN, and although I only work part-time, it has been difficult to say the least. I too, feel heart-broken and sad for the country that I love so much. Thank you, and Happy New Year to you and everyone on the KIC site. xo

SherryJanuary 7th, 2021  6:57 PM

• I am exhausted and sickened by the many months of violence, destruction, defacement, and brazen lawlessness across so many American cities and in our nation’s capitol.
    I had a good cry in my car today on the way home from the hairdresser. I love LilyB’s, lo’s, and Catherine’s comments.

PaulaJanuary 8th, 2021  12:20 AM

• Preston, your beautiful, intelligent blog speaks to a worldwide audience. So many of us, were truly shocked and distressed by those scenes from Capitol Hill and felt for our American friends. This is not the America we know.

ClaireJanuary 8th, 2021  2:10 AM

• Thank you, Catherine from Ireland — it is not (representative). And SueM, what a sweet, sweet thing to say about your sister! Really heartwarming. I feel the same way about mine.

JaneyJanuary 8th, 2021  6:47 AM

• What have we come to when some of those who feel aggrieved for whatever reason believe it is ok to riot, loot and in some cases kill if their cause is righteous enough? The violence at the the Capitol this week and in cities around the country this past year is sickeningly wrong.

We have become so insulated, so sure the thinking inside our particular bubble is right and anyone who thinks differently must be silenced or canceled. The violent thugs should be arrested and thrown in jail but the rest of us, instead of pointing fingers, need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves how we as individuals can do better to seek to understand our fellow man, really listen to each other, learn to respect our differences and find ways to come together.

MaryJanuary 9th, 2021  5:27 AM

• Preston- I appreciate you addressing the wrongfulness of what happened this week. To the commenters who lumped the BLM protests of the past 6 months and the insurrection at the Capitol together- please don’t. This is disrespectful given the intent of both movements. If that is not clear or this statement doesn’t sit well perhaps some soul searching is necessary in order to become part of the movement towards acknowledgement, betterment and healing that out country so desperately needs.

AnnJanuary 9th, 2021  12:23 PM

• Many thoughtful and astute comments on KIC. I try to remember that in my day-to-day world and even while living in the time of COVID 19 AND living in a downtown Minneapolis high rise where the sad and traumatizing George Floyd death happened not too far away? I try to remember most people I come across, strangers and known, most people are good. Most are engaged and want unity and respect for all people and are not apathetic or rage filled-just hurting and wondering how to help and change for the better?
    Its small and it does not make the news. However, it does renew me. And I appreciate Catherine from Iceland’s comment so very much. For international members of KIC to acknowledge there are so many wonderful people and purposes in the United States of America. United We Stand.

Dana S

Dana SipesJanuary 9th, 2021  12:27 PM

• Ann, with respect, I consider the violence equally dangerous and repulsive, and calling one a “protest” and the other “insurrection” doesn’t change that. While you clearly disagree, please do not assume to have the moral upper hand, as I do not assume of myself towards you. The BLM/Antifa mob violence is based on two premises: 1) That African Americans are violently targeted by police disproportionate to their levels of crime. 2) That racial inequality is caused by what is generally defined as “systemic racism”, excluding other causes or almost so. Despite often being presented as facts, they are both in fact contentious premises that wholly warrant further research, debate, and clear-headed scrutiny. The violent assault on the Capitol is also based on premises that many Americans believe to be factually true, but have actually not been proven: that of lack of integrity and transparency in the last elections. The pursuit of racial equality and electoral transparency are equally important to America in “intent”, when peaceful. And violent mobs are violent mobs.

IoJanuary 9th, 2021  7:24 PM

• I closed the comments on this post.

PrestonJanuary 10th, 2021  4:43 AM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.