March 20th, 2021
On My Mind

Welcome, Spring!

As we emerge from “…the winter of our discontent” and prepare to re-enter our former, yet forever altered, lives/lifestyles, I’ve been thinking about how I will present myself. Many predict that the post-COVID era will mimic the Roaring Twenties. Perhaps, for a moment, to relieve pent-up frustration.

I tried to be true to myself this past year and was exceptionally mindful of adding to what I already have. My fashion diary , shopping rules, and focus on a simple wardrobe were together my compass as I made purchases. Oddly, I acquired a number of items that had been on my wish list for years. A chunky cardigan, a non-trench raincoat, an everyday black bag, an easy cocktail dress, and a light-weight parka. They may not be the most exciting items, but things I will wear endlessly.

So, how will I present myself? On the outside I will look pretty much the same, it’s the gratitude in my heart that I will wear on my sleeve.

BROCK COLLECTION

Grain de poudre skirt

MALONE SOULIERS

Gavi crossover-strap leather slides

BROCK COLLECTION

Wool-blend cardigan

Le Maillon leather sandals

Suzanne mini leather cross-body bag

Jota chain-embellished leather sandals

MATTEAU

Broderie-cotton maxi skirt

• Such a great post. One thing that will come out of this pandemic is not taking anything for granted. I love everything you purchased.

LisaMarch 20th, 2021  8:08 AM

• The last sentence of this post is the best. I feel the same. x

DebMarch 20th, 2021  8:43 AM

• I remember those posts from 2010, both stuck with me all these years.

ClaireMarch 20th, 2021  8:44 AM

• Of course all your purchases and forever posts resonate and it reminds me to thank you Preston. Our daily discourse (though virtual) has kept me focused on what is important when stress, boredom and impulse may have led me astray. We cover a wide variety of interests but always have basic truths inherent to the discussion and though fashion and lifestyle are the topics I feel kindness and respect are the message. Now I have to try very hard not to buy that Toteme sweater lol.

SueMMarch 20th, 2021  12:43 PM

• I so loved this post, Preston. And it applies not just to us this spring. I’m sure our mothers and grandmothers had similar thoughts when the war ended. And for them, their sartorial choices conveyed dignity, respect, and being true to themselves, just as our choices do.
    After your recent post about the Dior bar jacket, I went and tried it on at the Dior store.
    It is absolutely beautiful, and I did cycle back to my memories of my grandmother—-always chic in her Saint John knit suits and Ferragamo shoes.

LindaMarch 20th, 2021  4:20 PM

• Awesome post!

TracyMarch 20th, 2021  7:11 PM

• I love everything about this!

ErinMarch 20th, 2021  7:33 PM

• Your last comment in the post is so true. My great-grandmother died in the flu pandemic of 1918 and the story of it stayed with me all of my life, as my grandmother always told it with a great deal of sadness in her heart for having lost her precious mother at the age of twelve. Gratitude is the BEST thing to wear on ones’ sleeve, and I thank you for reminding us. xo

SherryMarch 20th, 2021  8:09 PM

• Love reading the comments from your loyal readers. You are an inspiration.

SusanMarch 20th, 2021  8:25 PM

• Great post, and especially the last sentence. Happy it’s my favorite season, but also grateful to be happy and healthy…

MelMarch 21st, 2021  4:38 PM

• The 3 kic posts you link to are some of my favorites and I saved them. You’ve held true to their message all these years and we’ve benefitted from that.

NinaMarch 22nd, 2021  5:13 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.