May 2nd, 2021
Cruise 2021/22 Collection

Off To Provence With Chanel

I wish I were actually going to Provence to see the Chanel Cruise 2021/2022 show on May 4, but I’m sure the video will be sublime, too. This may possibly be the last virtual fashion show. No longer a show-goer, I haven’t really minded the digital presentations and found a number of them to be far more creative than staged shows. But, the fashion pundits are champing (yes, champing is correct) at the bit to be back together and an audience certainly brings an energy that is sorely missing from the filmed collections. Regardless, I am excited to be virtually transported to the south of France on Tuesday at the invitation of the über talented Virginie Viard. Join me at 6pm Paris time.

Suzanne mini leather cross-body bag

Jota chain-embellished leather sandals

MATTEAU

Broderie-cotton maxi skirt

PRADA

Single-breasted hooded raincoat

BOTTEGA VENETA

Leather sandals

Flower brooch

Le Maillon leather shoulder bag

GUCCI

Aviator-style gold-tone and acetate sunglasses

TOTÊME

High-neck striped wool-blend sweater

THE ROW

Park linen-blend canvas tote bag

NILI LOTAN

Fran belted suede jacket

VALENTINO

Wool-blend playsuit

• Looking forward to your report! It’s sure to be amazing.

LisaMay 2nd, 2021  11:04 AM

• I can’t WAIT to see what she has in store for Cruise and the FallWinter 2021 collection- those coats were amazing!

Bon dimanche, Preston!

SeverineMay 2nd, 2021  11:29 AM

• I’m on the list for the green coat…

PrestonMay 2nd, 2021  11:43 AM

• Preston, the fact that you know that champing is correct , not chomping, makes my day!

NinaMay 2nd, 2021  11:54 AM

• Preston,

‘Yes, champing IS correct.’ You made my day. It’s my personal pet peeve that so many people in media are completely unaware of proper grammar, syntax, idioms, etc. The egregious improper usage of me vs I is another one that drives me bonkers.

Ok, rant over!

Julie

JulieMay 2nd, 2021  12:33 PM

• Improper usage of your vs you’re is mine.

PrestonMay 2nd, 2021  12:37 PM

• There’s an entire scene in Billions dedicated to chomping vs. champing at the bit; I think of it every time I see that phrase. Hope YOU’RE having a lovely weekend 🙂

MichelleMay 2nd, 2021  12:48 PM

• And their vs. they’re

BarbaraMay 2nd, 2021  2:47 PM

• Grammarist.com has an interesting discussion of champing vs. chomping.

RebeccaMay 2nd, 2021  5:23 PM

• Yes, “champing” was the original, but “chomping” is now considered acceptable.

My pet peeve (really drives me crazy) is the incorrect use of “I” instead of “me”. People believe it is correct in every situation, which it certainly is not. It drives me nuts when I hear incorrect usage in television shows…these are writers who use the wrong word in scripts! The worst!

SharonMay 2nd, 2021  6:09 PM

• Another pet peeve: “I could care less.” So, you actually do care at least somewhat? Or the improper use of “myself” instead of “me” or “I.”

MaryMay 2nd, 2021  7:17 PM

• I wish people would stop using “alot” because it’s not a word, it’s “a lot “ (two words).

SLFMay 2nd, 2021  11:07 PM

• Come for the fashion, stay for the grammar! Best string of comments in a long time.

AnneMay 3rd, 2021  9:10 AM

• Obviously, discussion of the show is paramount but airing our pet grammar peeves is exhilarating! Too many to list. My sister (before her illness) was a closed captioner for a major broadcaster here in Canada and we spent many an hour discussing commas, colons full and semi and chewy things like dangling participles.

SueMMay 3rd, 2021  11:43 AM

• I’ll add to the list – to and too.

DebMay 3rd, 2021  3:53 PM

• Chanel is all well and good, but it seems you have tapped into a hotter topic for the KIC community! When it comes to speech, word usage, and getting grammar and punctuation right, my husband and children have always been sticklers. For family fun, we run through all of buzz words, trendy phrases, and corporate lingo that are so often used to puff up memorandums or dress up content. The other pet peeve is overuse of acronyms! Corporate Lingo Bingo is a great Zoom cocktail game, and the whole family can play! : ))

PaulaMay 5th, 2021  12:19 AM

• I’m loving the grammar-tangent to this thread, really making me smile! It grates on my nerves when people mix their metaphors and bungle their grammar. “One foul (sic) swoop” always makes me laugh. And I can’t stand “I could care less”! It’s illogical but I can’t seem to convince anyone of that. “Who” and “whom” are often used wrongly. Also “hung” instead of “hanged” (i.e. in the sense of corporal punishment, not clothing). My father was given a tee shirt with the words “I am silently correcting your grammar” on it. But believe me, there was nothing silent about it. Go dad!

AnitaMay 5th, 2021  5:13 AM

• I have enjoyed this grammar thread! I do not frequent Twitter very often, but when I do one of my favorite accounts is Typos of the New York Times. 🙂

BonnyMay 5th, 2021  11:45 AM

• This thread really captured my attention – one of the most interesting ones I’ve read!
    Loved reading all the comments.

Of the many grammatical pet peeves I have – and there are many – the incorrect usage of ‘I” and “me” drives me nuts, too!

I can’t stand it when people use the pronoun “me” first when including others as in: “Me and Jane are going shopping.” How impolite to put oneself first – think so many don’t realize the etiquette behind the usage.
    But then, the person needs to know to use”I” instead of “me when using the polite and grammatically correct form when including another individual or more.

My other grammatical pet peeve with “I” and “me”is when someone thinks it’s “elegant” English to use “I” when “me” is the correct pronoun to use with prepositions.
    It helps if the person knows what a preposition is and that there is a list of them.

Both peeves are “OUCH” to my ears. Double “OUCH” if done by someone well educated and prominent!!

Am going to quit before someone finds and pounces on a grammatical error I made inadvertently…

Janice

Janice Vander PoelMay 5th, 2021  3:18 PM

• Champing not chomping…love that you articulated this. I have always been a fan of yours but now even more so!

Priya D.May 6th, 2021  10:25 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.