June 23rd, 2021
Vogue Paris

Ralph Girl: Charlotte Cardin

I rarely post Ralph Lauren looks but this one, on musician Charlotte Cardin in Vogue Paris, is really good. Ages ago, I sidestepped requests to cast Ralph’s show and now we live in the same ‘hood — life is funny that way. Anyway, the classic styling here works for me.

Photography by Thibault Della Gaspera Styling by Morgane Bedel

VINCE

Cashmere sweater

SACAI

Cotton-blend minidress

RAEY

Longline virgin-wool tunic

• You are leaving us with the desire to hear more about your “sidestepping”… would make for a great summer read distraction, please elaborate. Love your fiercely edited eye.

jean l lillyJune 23rd, 2021  10:40 AM

• I second Jean’s comment. Are you open to elaborating on the “side-stepping”… or will you save it for your book?

AliJune 23rd, 2021  12:40 PM

• Completely agree with Jean/Lilly about hearing more about “sidestepping”….

AmyJune 23rd, 2021  12:41 PM

• Hah! No book and I promised Ms. Wintour that I would never write about my years at Vogue.
    At heart, I’m a New Englander and couldn’t relate to the glossy reinterpretation of my preppy heritage. And, even though I seemed like an obvious fit, I was better at, and preferred, casting for fashion-forward designers.

PrestonJune 23rd, 2021  1:22 PM

• Perfect answer. Love hearing you talk about the business of casting, not interested in the salacious.

SueMJune 23rd, 2021  10:22 PM

• While fashion came and went, the great thing about Ralph Lauren’s designs, is that they are, for the most part, timeless. I associated his brand with a very broad range of American style than just prep, especially Western. I’m old enough to remember his Ralph Lauren Country line, which was phenomenal in the 80’s. He was able to extract regional American style and interpret it for women/men everywhere. I’m glad Mr. Lauren has survived, he’s a tribute to the best of the best American success stories. I actually can’t think of any fashion branding that isn’t glossy, or in some way romanticized imagery and, at some level, lifting from someone’s heritage.

PaulaJune 24th, 2021  1:52 AM

• Honest answer, elegantly expressed. Honesty and integrity are always chic. And agree it is a really good look.

ClaireJune 24th, 2021  4:35 AM

• While the Ralph Lauren logo has never been my thing as well as any other kind of logo or branding. I do miss the aesthetics of his clothing. Simple, classic style is something that I miss in clothing right now. Most everything is too something. I love the photo, and come fall will attempt to emulate the outfit.

RobynJune 24th, 2021  6:09 AM

• I love hearing about your editorial casting past. How fascinating it must have been!
    Ralph, if nothing else is a master at branding, from fashion to coffee and everything in between.

SusanJune 24th, 2021  8:12 AM

• I understand your sentiments about Ralph Lauren, but I always appreciated how a Jewish boy from the Bronx (I am a Jewish girl from the Bronx) reinvented himself as the purveyor of Western and classic “preppy” clothing to perfection! The quality of the fabrics used and the colors in the basic pieces were always top notch as well.

SharonJune 24th, 2021  8:42 AM

• The fabrics and colors are indeed top notch.

PrestonJune 24th, 2021  9:01 AM

• While in NYC in March, where everyone was frowning, Ralph’s Coffee was the most cheerful, upbeat, best looking environment, and best coffee and oatmeal – it was breakfast for five consecutive days! The man is a genius! Those cute chocolate bars are the best pantry items! Mr. Lauren, I suspect, is among the hardest working men in the fashion industry. Give him a pandemic and a shutdown city, and he comes up with a happy, entrepreneurial idea! He’s brilliant.
    The ability to completely reinvent oneself is what sets America apart from every other nation on the planet. One doesn’t have to be from the manor born to get into the manor.
    I love Robyn’s statement, “Most everything is too something.” : ))

PaulaJune 24th, 2021  12:49 PM

• There was a period in the 2000’s when RL did a collection that was Hawaiian themed and he did it in a way that was not kitschy (?) but classic Hawaiian. I really marveled at that. They were pieces that you wanted to hang on to.

SLFJune 24th, 2021  1:07 PM

Your email address is only used for our verification process to help reduce spam comments and will not be shared, published or stored for any other purpose. Please be courteous. All comments are moderated.